Mac Rumors Censorship

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by minimax, Feb 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. minimax macrumors 6502

Since when is it not allowed to express ones opinion about relevant socio-cultural events?
    Our democratic principles are being eroded from within. The MacRumors administrator that removed the post should be very proud of himself.
    Please remove my account, i don't want to be part of a community that lets its ears hang to the hypocritical outcry that currently sweeps the middle-east.

Democracy is not for the weak - who said this again?

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Rant without a substance.

This is Arn's board. He can do whatever he wants. There is no 'free speech' on a private message board. It is in no way a 'democracy'.

It's Arn's sandbox - he lets us play in it if we abide by his rules.

If'n you don't like the rules, go home.

Bye.

3. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

There is a forum for such enthusiasm. It's called the Political Forum. Feel free to express your views in there, but watch your six. There be piranhas in thar. :eek:

4. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

The thread in question was a repost, and should have been posted in the political forum... :rolleyes:

Get over it...

Edit: And why is even this thread in current events and not Site and Forum Feedback...???

5. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Usually new threads do not get removed if they are posted in the correct location. I have seen many controversial threads posted and discussed in the Religious, Social, etc. Forums... from the sounds of it yours was no different or worse than others in those Forums, but I would have to have read it to know for sure of course.

I assume that you posted your political thread in the Political Forum? If not, man, your face must be red. :p

I'd say repost it in the proper place if you did indeed post it in the wrong Forum, but since you've asked for your account to be axed, I guess it's too late for you. Too bad if it was a simple misunderstanding on your part and you simply are overreacting, as there may have been a simple solution. :cool:

Edit: Thanks for the link Mitthrawnuruodo. So, it was already posted, he didn't take the time to check first, then posted it in the incorrect place, and it got removed. And now he complains and wants to quit MacRumors. Wow.

6. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

Not the brightest bulb in the world thats for sure :p

7. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I'd suggest that you learn to use the forums properly, rather than complaining about the incident, to avoid further problems. The placement of this thread in the wrong section (it's moving from Current Events to Feedback) shows that you might need to improve your skills a bit, especially considering that you have over 300 posts already.

Any place on the internet is available without bounds to people all over the world who otherwise have access to it. These forums are not governed by the laws of whatever country in which you live--they're governed by the rules that have been set by Arn and the moderators. You agreed to these rules on registration.

We don't go out of our way to censor. That would take too much time. In the thread about which you're probably complaining, it has an explanation.

8. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

I think the bottom line here is that this is a private forum with moderators assigned to maintain , they can do what they want ... ITS PRIVATE ... no one has to extend you your democratic rights here ... you can make your own website or newspaper or whatever you want to express your opinion with all your democratic morals that you'd like.

I think they do a fine job here and maintain a good balance of whats needed and filtering out some things that aren't necessary ... and they don't let people repeat behavior like on other forums

9. NWAMacTech macrumors member

I dont understand the comic anyway:confused:

10. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

MacRumors rights are protected by the U.S.A., the United (computer) Systems of Arn.

11. angelneo macrumors 68000

I think the "This is Arn's Sandbox" reason should not be overused. Ultimately, Arn is trying to make forum easily available for everyone and to encourage everyone to come here often. Constantly reminding everyone that Arn can do whatever he wants isn't really something encouraging. Not that I agreed with the original poster for I have not seen what he has posted.

12. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

I don't think I was going that route really, I think its more an issue of manners and responsibilites ... and even contractually when you join you agree to follow the set of rules as a term of membership. you may indirectly forfeit some of your free speech rights in an effort to make the community more appealing to everyone ... it happens. If anything I think that the rules help somewhat

13. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

You know very well that the rules from one country to another aren't equal. It would be a lot simpler, if they were.

I've been watching this same situation on various forums and IRC channels, etc. all over the internet since 1995 and people think small but we're on a planet and we need to think that way. :)

14. angelneo macrumors 68000

I'm not saying this rule doesn't apply. I'm just saying that to refute the original poster, we could perhaps say that his post is redundant, his post is offensive, his post has been brought up repeatedly, his post is in the wrong forum so on. Instead of just saying, this is a private forum, play by our rules or leave, you don't belong here. It's somewhat counter productive of what we are trying to promote here and also it is easier to argue if we can just say why.

EDIT: sorry if I offend you, Kwyjibo, I'm not targeting anyone in particular, just speaking generally

15. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

It was said in the original thread that it was redundant before it was closed. It was never said that he didn't belong and that he should leave. Maybe, I imply that with my posts but I never mean to make anyone reasonable want to leave.

Still, I don't think it's a bad thing to remind people that the rules apply to everyone.

16. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

No. It's not. Ironic, no?

17. angelneo macrumors 68000

Sorry if you feel I was speaking against you, I was just speaking generally, it just seems to me that the most of our members' knee jerk reaction is to quote the sandbox reason. I agreed with you that rules are required in online arena to keep the fun element there.

18. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Er, you are aware that the internet existed well before 1995, right? :eek:

Anyways, I doubt the OP will ever come back to read this, so why are still discussing this? :confused:

19. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Yes, I know quite a bit about the internet/ARPAnet but I wasn't connected to any chat rooms or forums until 1995.

I'm not worried about it, so you shouldn't either. Since becoming a moderator, I have to take things with a grain of salt a lot more often.

If you look around the forums, you'll see a lot of "well, then, get out" responses, if we haven't deleted them. They're generally replies to trolls.

20. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Because it's funny? :p

No, seriously though, I was just thinking that. Maybe as a heads up to anyone else thinking this way? I know we're all a little riled up over current politics, but that's why the Gods (of MacRumors) gave us a special sub-forum for such things. If people aren't aware, these same moderators (or mods, as we call them) usually tend to move the thread and post a response appropriately. If you don't like it, you can complain, but as said above, this is a private forum. And usually a very good one. I know we don't want to give the impression that you can be banned or have your posts deleted for no reason, but you do have to follow the rules.

Freedom of Speech is usually only about the government trying to stop you from saying or doing things that you should have a right to, not a bunch of guys (and gals?) who run a website and corresponding forum.

21. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

Good reminder. I suspect a decent number of people believe the same rules apply to private forums ... time for a wake-up call.

22. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

You asked for it. See ya.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.