Mac Sales Down for the First Time in Three Years

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Feb 20, 2009.

1. macrumors bot

2. macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

This is due entirely to the lack of a new Mac Pro.

Oh... people buy the iMac and Mac Mini, too. :D

3. macrumors 6502a

All the potential adopters are getting brought over and there's not many left. The other 90+% are happy with MS and PCs.

4. macrumors newbie

5. macrumors regular

I would have to say the downfall is due to a lack of new revisions. There are several things that need updating including Mac Mini, iMac, and Mac Pro. . .

6. macrumors 6502

and the fact apple care more about being "green" than they do in actually meeting consumer demand for products! I dont want a green mac i want one witha huge friggin lazer beam on it!!!!!!!! :p

7. macrumors newbie

Sorry people.

The way I read the original report is that sales growth is off, not sales. That's growth, as in sales are still growing.
    Sounds like just more FUD to me.

8. macrumors 68030

Winni

The problem is that Apple is selling out-dated hardware in beautifully designed cases at high prices, while the PC industry is selling cutting-edge hardware it not so nicely designed cases at low prices. Guess what people are rather buying during a world-wide recession?

Apple should enter the OEM market and license OS X to others, that would solve the "problem" with low-end buyers and it would at the same time increase Apple's income significantly. The company never wanted to compete with the PC industry, but since they've moved to the Intel platform, they are in direct competition. People actually read specs, and there has always only been a limited amount of potential "switchers" who did not care that much about the price tag - and who could only "switch" because the Mac also allowed them to run Windows.

9. Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Mac sales are definitely affected by seasonal trends. That's why it's never good to put too much emphasis on consecutive quarters but instead to compare the same quarter year-to-year.

10. macrumors 6502a

Shasterball

Ummm...I think the economy is the biggest factor here. Why buy a premium machine for $1300 when you can get a PC for $400?

11. macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

First part right, second part wrong. You should also look at the sales of Windows PCs.

12. macrumors member

I absolutely agree. I love macs, but instead of getting cheaper they are getting more expensive, i.e. new macbook aluminum now more expensive than old macbook, also macbook air for 2grand CAD is insane when u can get similar performance computer for 400$.
    Prices are the single reason of slowing mac sales.

13. macrumors 6502a

Misleading...

I think what really matters is how well Apple is doing against it's competitors and I think to really present a valid argument you need to yank the netbook #'s. If Apple's sales went down by 6% I'd like to see the numbers for everyone sans the netbooks because if we're going to talk about netbooks as full functioning computers I think we should start counting the iPhone or iPod touch as somewhat of a netbook. I'm not saying give it 1:1 but if you want to look at "computers" sold I think a netbook is more like .75-.8 comparable units, iPhone is .65-.7 and Touch is .5-.55. You put those numbers in there and you're doing just fine. Of course to avoid all of that I'd say they just pull the netbook numbers all together and compare Apple(s) to apples...

14. macrumors regular

Add to that the slowing global economy and even those people willing to shell out the extra dollars for a Mac are thinking twice.

15. macrumors 68000

Lancetx

Price has virtually nothing to do with it. The fact that the iMac hasn't been refreshed in 10 months has almost everything to do with it. The day that the iMac is refreshed is the day that Apple sees a big spike in sales. If price was the main issue, then iPhone, iPod and MacBook sales would be in the tank too, but they aren't.

16. macrumors newbie

Apple sales are down because Apple hasn't done ANYTHING noteworthy in there computer department. A redisnged Macbook/Macbook Pro isn't going to drive sales. A new iMac and Mac Mini however will.

17. macrumors 68000

Saladinos

The fact that Mac sales are down is, by itself, useless. In fact, it's expected in this climate.

It would be news, however, if Windows (or linux) share was going up at the expense of the Mac. You need to look at how the industry is doing, and how Apple is doing. I expect Macs will still be outperforming the industry, meaning that Mac market share is still growing (or Apple customers are less concerned about the recession and are still buying).

I expect that people are holding off and trying to get another few years out of their existing computers, hence the slowing sales. But that's true for the entire industry, and Macs are well known to age better than Windows counterparts, indicating that it would be the better buy. It would be difficult to figure that in to an ad campaign though.

18. macrumors member

The average computer user doesn't know how a refreshed mac should be. They don't understand gigahertz etc. They just see a mac laptop that looks nice, comes with a bunch of good software, but is 2000$, vs one that looks ugly and is 400$. In tough economic times the AVERAGE user tends to go with the cheaper system. Of course, others who like technology or understand what's in the system want the refresh but those aren't the majority.

19. macrumors 6502a

Apple has never really been after the average user who just wants something cheap. The people who are hurt the most by this recession have been the people who don't have that much money and are, let's just be honest with ourselves here, not in Apple's prime demographic. That's why when you yank the netbook numbers I'd postulate that Mac marketshare is still growing.

20. macrumors member

I agree that those people have not been apples main demographic, but that is why apple hasn't been as successful. I feel like they are slowly trying to appeal to the mainstream market, as they have done with ipod and iphone (whose prices have dropped causing more sales). If they want to do well, they should lower their price, not by a huge margin, but just slightly to make it at least somewhat competitive.

21. Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Some of you may recall Bill Clinton's campaign slogan "It's the economy, stupid", which I suspect may be the main reason for the decline in sales. Yes, Apple may not be as cutting edge as formerly, but that is still secondary to the effects of the economic slow-down.

I'm not sure I buy the argument about the demographic; by the time this recesion is over, I imagine most sections of society will hurt quite a bit. Also, bigmc6000 has a point; the real test is how Apple is faring against its competitors, in a market that is a lot tougher than it was a year ago.

Cheers

22. macrumors regular

PhilaScott

Exactly... in the words of a former President (whose wife is now Secretary of State): "It's the economy, stupid!"

Update: Oops.. some above my post just pointed that out!! Great minds..

23. macrumors 68030

Here's another story with sales data from MPD:

http://www.macworld.com/article/138895/2009/02/macsales.html

So if you take this data at face value:

1. Mac sales (not sales growth) dropped 6% in January 2009 vs January 2008.
    2. Windows PC sales grew 16% over the same time period.

They attribute this to lack of updates and weakness of product mix of desktops, as Mac notebooks are doing fine:

24. macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

And also,

Anyway, we heard exactly the same thing I believe it was in October, but it turned out that for the quarter, Apple's shipments were up YoY and Windows PCs were flat.

25. macrumors 6502a

Because once you have done things so easily and smoothly on a Mac, the costs of using a cheap PC mount.

First, you go to the psychiatrist because you are convinced you are nuts for leaving the Mac OS for Windows. Then, there are the anti-depressants you need to buy after realizing how much extra time you are wasting doing things badly in Windows. Next, you need electro-shock therapy when you realize that you are now under the dominion of Steve Ballmer. Finally the gun and ammo you need to blow your head off costs money, too.

Macs are actually the cheaper option.