mac sales on my campus, get powerbook now?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by yuck, Jul 13, 2005.

1. yuck macrumors member

$100 OFF ibook12" combo
    $200 OFF iMac G5 17" SD
    20" cinema display
    $300 OFF PB 12" SD
    PB 15" SD

ive been wanting to get a powerbook since earlier this year. Was really excited when i found out bout this deal, its turn out that the discounts are off retail price.
    So the 12" SD will be $1,399 ( minus $179 if i include the ipod mini deal)
    So should i get one ? my experience with my campus store is, they always put a "sale" or discounts when an updates are coming

2. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

3. yuck thread starter macrumors member

They do offer education discount, so in other word... its a $100 off to the education price for the powerbook 12" SD

4. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

damn, those are cheaper than edu prices :eek: the 12" pb edu would be $1499, but im sure you knew that lol. i say go for it if you need a mac now. just because a new machine may be faster doesnt make your machine any slower. just jealous :D

5. sw1tcher macrumors 65816

sw1tcher

What campus are you at?

Wonder if this is at my school too. Will have to check.

12" PB w/SD

$1699 - $300 - $180 (sell iPod mini) = $1219 :D

6. MacHarne macrumors 6502

Some universities make special deals with Apple to offer these sub-edu discounts. But, in almost every circumstance, it requires some kind of a "bundle" or "package" due to Apple's reseller policies.

Basically, with permission and a deal with Apple, a university can sell a PowerBook for less than the regular educational discount if they change the options a bit. Almost all of the time AppleCare is included, making the purchase a "bundle" instead of just the computer. My campus adds AppleCare and some extra RAM to your order; but even after those upgrades (and honestly, AppleCare isn't an upgrade but necessity for a college student) it is much cheaper than the regular educational discounted product.

I purchased a 12" PB with SD and 768MB with AppleCare for $1689 from my university, far below Apple's regular educational discount. Plus, all university orders of Macs included a free 512MB iPod shuffle. This whole "bundle" was authorized by Apple through several talks between our campus reps and Apple reps. It allows Macs to be much more ubiquitous across the campus and my university is considerably bent towards Apple anyways, so it's just another you-scratch-my-back-I'll-scratch-yours kind of deal.

Just thought I'd share that tidbit of Apple's retailing policy. They have a very firm grip on how reseller's can discount products - a set of policies that usually forces resellers to offer rebates or special packages instead of immediate discounts (i.e. Amazon).

7. yuck thread starter macrumors member

Nope no "bundles" required afaik
    university of oregon, and yeah... my sister wants a mini anyway... so i might get the powerbook for that price :D

8. Eevee macrumors 6502a

Eevee

Go for it! The PB is a great machine! Plus you get the iPod Mini. Keep both for yourself :D J/K

Can you get more RAM at a discounted price at your school? Standard is 512 MB, but nice to have 1 gig or more.

9. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Get it. The iBook may get some snazzy upgrade, but the PowerBook will probably just get a speed bump and maybe a price drop. And who knows when. Buy it, give her the iPod, enjoy your Mac. Plus, Oregon, so no tax. :D

10. cooknwitha macrumors 6502a

cooknwitha

I say get it too. Don't let a good special pass you by. Look at the people who let the EDU iBook discount pass them by and now.... still no updates.

If want a Powerbook, go the Powerbook! They're great machines.

11. yuck thread starter macrumors member

yeah i probably gonna get one this weekend :D , thanks for the input

about RAM: i think they sell a 512mb crucial RAM for around $100 (january's price when i asked them about it), how many RAM slots are there in the 12" ?
    i do know that the ram is 256mb+256mb, right ?

12. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Nah, its one 512MB stick of RAM soldered to the logic board, and one free slot to do as you please. :)

13. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Right. 256 soldered on and 256 Mb SODIMM. There is one socket only, so the 256 Mb SODIMM will have to come out. Abstract, check the Apple Store "Customize" memory menu on the 12" Powerbook G4.

Don't go with the Crucial:

$144 for a 1 Gb module and $59 for a 512 Mb module here
    http://www.datamem.com/viewcat.asp_Q_C_E_1169

Thanks
    Trevor
    CanadaRAM.com

14. SurfinSHELL23 macrumors regular

Actually on the 12PB, it's 256 inbuilt plus 256 SO-DIMM.

Brian

15. dylomel macrumors member

campus store

i wish my campus will have one that sells mac ! how can the school get to have that? :p