Mac saveup, which to buy?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by slooksterPSV, Apr 17, 2004.

1. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

Currently, I am saving up to buy a PowerBook G4 for $1600, but I want a Mac right away so I'm also considering just buying an eMac for $700. I'm a new buyer for Macs because I've never bought one before. What do you recommend I buy? The reason I want it is because I'm fed up with Microsoft and Linux, also I use Macs in a class I take at my school.

2. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

You said Powerbook or Emac. Very different computers - one is portable. You first need to decide if you want a desktop or laptop. We can then help you decide better.

Also, list the kinds of apps you will be using or things you want to do (Word, photoshop, dvd burning, movie editing, etc.)

Your price limit gets you a 12 inch Powerbook. That same price ceiling gets you a 17 inch emac, RAM from an outside vendor, and an iPod. Portables are more expensive - look closely at what you need.

Of those who brought computers to college in 1999, 20-30% of NEW students brought laptops. In 2003, that number was above 85%. Laptops have closed the performance gap a lot in that time -but in the end - it depends on what you need and on the funds available to do it.

3. slooksterPSV thread starter macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

Re: Mac saveup, which to buy?

Well I wanted something that is portable, but I won't need something portable till like next year. and I just want a mac to try out and learn, but I plan to use programs such as iLife, some Adobe programs. So just for cost I think I'll buy an eMac.

4. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

In that case - DEFINITELY check out the iBook. it is a LOT cheaper and will run your apps wonderfully. Rumor is, both the powerbook and ibook will be updated on monday. Look at the 14" iBook - (make sure you navigate to the EDU page on apples website for EDU prices.) You can get a top of the line iBook for $1600.

We may even see SuperDrives (DVD-burning) iBooks on Monday...

5. slooksterPSV thread starter macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

Well I'll buy an iBook if they upgrade the processor cache to 512KB because I want to have a good L2 Cached processor.

6. James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

I agree with carletonmusic, take a look at the iBooks, which as he says are due to be upgraded on Monday. I would not get hung up on the L2 Cache, it does not make a huge difference. Adding additional RAM will improve performance. I know two people with 12" iBooks and they love them. Hopefully the 12" will get a speedbump to 1 GHz.

7. thirteen1031 macrumors 6502

thirteen1031

iBook!

I'll chime in here as well on buying an iBook. Don't bother with the 14"--the resolution is the same and you might as well save the money (and the extra 2 inches) installing Airport into that 12"--which you're absolutely going to want and extra RAM. The 12" will serve you well BOTH as a laptop and desktop. They're small, zippy, bulletproof and wonderfully portable.

If you're a student, make sure to check out the student discount. You could get as much as $200 off the price. Also, check out the refirbished laptops Apple has for sale--much lower price but good as new.

8. realityisterror macrumors 65816

realityisterror

i find it interesting that so many people complain about this... maybe some people don't want as much eye strain. why doesn't anyone complain about the 15" iMac's resolution? it's 1024x768 too...

reality

9. tekno_geek911 macrumors 6502

I had a 14" iBook a few days ago...The resolution wasnt a problem at all,it was one of the nicest laptop displays that I've seen.