Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TyleRomeo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 22, 2002
New York
ok is there a way to put a lock on a certain folder and its contents with a password? I know you can put one on your screen saver

i only ask since I was to make sure nothing will happen to my music folder if some drunk friends accidently trash it or some other silly reason to cuase me to start killing people.

tyler

evildead

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2001
WestCost, USA
there are a few ways to do it

What OS are you running... that makes a diffrence. OS 9 has a built in app that does just what you want.

If you have stuffitDelux you can compress it and incript it with a password... but that takes too long.

You an use an app called folderGaurd.. get it off versiontracker.com .. I think its free. There are many like it.. I think that one just makes the folder invisable... low tech security but you can do it. There are tons of little apps out there that that do want your asking for... do a quick search on http://www.versiontracker.com. Many are free, but most are shareware and ask that you register it for a small fee. I used to use an app called Ghost for OS 9.

The other option is to change the permissions on the folder so that it and its contents can not be removed .. you can do this by doing a getinfo on the folder and chage the privleges... assuming your on OS X. Your drunk friends would have to know how to chage those to trash your stuff...

Or... just log out of your Mac and dont give out your password

-evildead

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.