.mac signup now requires CC# before username is granted

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by coolbreeze, Oct 1, 2003.

1. coolbreeze macrumors 65816

Well, I have mixed emotions about this. Now an 'official' .mac subscriber, I can admit to something. In the past, I have 'used' the .mac system to 1. post photos online for friends and family 2. use trial and error to find the username I really want (since Apple will not let you change it).

So after my Powerbook/.mac purchase, I went to www.mac.com in a last ditch effort to find a username I truely want....only to find that before you find out if your name is available, you have to enter credit card info. On one hand, this is good because Apple immediately eliminates phony subscribers. But what about those of us who specify a username, but just *really* want to see if it's available? I will admit to having maybe 4 member names I have started with the .mac trial, but I still would like to try several more out as I think of them for my permanent name.

I would like it if Apple offered some sort of "pre-search" to their available user name database so you can see if the name you want is available before you plunk down your Amex.

Am I asking too much?

2. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Re: .mac signup now requires CC# before username is granted

I guess Apple just expects you to be as creative as possible to ensure you have an unique user name ;) If it is taken, I am sure you can just cancel out or try a different one before officially accepting one.