Mac & Sky broadband

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by videonastie, Jan 29, 2007.

1. videonastie macrumors member

I signed up for Sky Broadband several weeks ago & I've been waiting for my activation date for a while. It arrived by textphone a week today. I've been trying to get this up & running all weekend, but to no avail Now I know I shouldn't be suprised, due to all the complaints I've read on other sites about the poor service, but I'm really stuck. When I first signed up to Demon years ago, I received a pack with all the info I needed to put into my system prefs to log into the internet ie IP address, email settings. I haven't received a single thing from Sky, apart from the Netgear, a CD & a dodgy answer machine message telling me "your broadband is active, enjoy". I've tried to install the CD, but it gets to the end & then tells me something is wrong & to check the lights & connections?? Am I being dense & are the settings on a website, or should I have received a letter from Sky with my username & password??:confused: :confused: :mad:

2. jonparadise macrumors member

What type of equipment have you been given?

How does it connect to your Mac? By USB or Ethernet?

3. videonastie thread starter macrumors member

I was given the Netgear DG834GT, with a setup booklet, which included a CD. I received no letter with passwords or usernames on. All the correct lights are flashing, but I can't get onto the net??

4. Queso macrumors G4

Sounds like the router isn't configured, so should pick up all settings from the DSL line. However, going by my neighbour's Wi-Fi networks, it should broadcast an SSID of SKYxxxxx (xxxxx is a five-digit number)

Firstly, ignore the CD. Connect the Netgear to your computer with an ethernet cable, fire up your web browser and point to http://www.routerlogin.com

You should be asked for a username and password to get into the router. Use "admin" for the username and "password" for the obvious, which are the Netgear default settings. Once you're in, go to the Router Status screen and check that all is configured with an IP address etc.

5. videonastie thread starter macrumors member

I've connected the Netgear to my Mac, but I can't get onto the internet to go to http://www.routerlogin.com it just says it cannot find the server?:confused:

The internet lights are all working, but I noticed that when I first boot up my Mac & Netgear the number '1' light flashes & stays on, then disappears. Is this light supposed to be on all the time?

6. Queso macrumors G4

The router should resolve routerlogin.com to its own address. Try http://192.168.0.1 instead. If that doesn't work, go into your System Preferences>>Network>>Built-In Ethernet>>TCP/IP panel and check that your network interface is set to pick up its address automatically via DHCP.

Is port #1 the one that your Mac is plugged into?

7. videonastie thread starter macrumors member

Port 1 has the yellow ethernet cable plugged into the Netgear, which then goes into the back of my Powerbook?

8. Queso macrumors G4

OK. Could also be a speed detection error. Whilst in your Networking prefs, just check the Ethernet Panel and make sure it's set to Automatic. Was the address set automatically? And was it picking up an address, subnet mask and gateway?

9. videonastie thread starter macrumors member

I'm not too sure what you mean, but I'll have a look when I get back from work.

You've been a fantastic help & given me plenty to try tonight. If I don't have any luck, I'll post back tomorrow.:)

10. Queso macrumors G4

Cool. Just remember that if you can get to the router, the problem is with the broadband line and you need to call Sky. If you can't get to the router, the problem is either your Mac or the router itself.

11. Badradio macrumors 6502

The Sky routers use "sky" for the default password. They've got a lot of the router settings locked down, but you can set up MAC filtering and change the encryption level as well as some basic diagnostics.

12. dobbin macrumors 6502a

dobbin

I don't think I can give you any more help than has already been posted here.

I don't mean to be annoying but I wanted to give the other side of the story and say that my Sky broadband set up was incredibly simple. I thought this is only fair in case anyone reading this is put off by your experience. I hope it also gives you some hope that yours will work well once you find out what the problem is.

The router should be pre-configured to connect to the sky broadband service, so I suspect that if your powerbook is seeing the router but not the internet, then there is a problem with the router and you need to call sky.

This is how it worked for me:
    I received the router last Monday and plugged it in. It immediately showed up in the list of wireless networks on my menu bar. I joined the network using the SSID and password printed on the bottom of the router. At that time the service wasn't active so I couldn't actually get on the internet.

I received a letter saying the service would be activated last Wednesday, and as if by magic I was connnected on Wednesday. I didn't have to use the CD or alter any preferences or do anything, other than entering the ID and password once for the wireless, just like I would if I wanted to connect to any other wireless network.

I hope you get yours sorted soon.

PS. Sky said it may take up to 3 days from the activation date for it to be active due to them being busy, but mine was connected by the time I got home from work on the activation date.

13. videonastie thread starter macrumors member

Got it running last night, thanks for everyones help.:) Just gotta get the email up & running now:rolleyes:

14. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

Good to hear it. I would have helped, but mine goes through a PeeCee and then connects to my Mac via a Switch, and it just... works.

I hope you get a decent service though, Ive not been that impressed TBH. I pay for the 'Max' package which is 'up to' 16meg, I wasn't expecting 16, I was told about 8, but it seems I only get 3.4. Bah! Not that fussed, I get a free upgrade when they get round to upgrading the telephone exchange. Weee.

15. videonastie thread starter macrumors member

Is there any software around, or built into the Mac to check how much I've used of my monthly GB limit?

16. sreedy macrumors 6502a

Just thought I'd also add my positive experience of Sky Broadband for OS X too. My Netgear router turned up on time via Parceline which I tracked online, it actaully arrived on the day BT we due to activate my line. In the letter I got from Sky it did say it could take up to 3 days more so I wasn't expecting too much. I unpacked the router plugged it in, first off I tried a direct connection via ethernet which worked great..... finally on broadband! Then I searched for the wireless network it was there and off I go..... works from downstairs to all 3 floors of my town house.

So far I've had upto 1.3MB which is great as I am miles from the exchange and was expecting a max of 1.0MB..... and it's only the bedding in period anyway as this is the first broadband on my line. I've only had to re-boot the router once and I'm happy with that..... as long as it not regular... it'll be on and off quite often anyway.

Only thing I haven't done is set-up the email as I think this is done via the included disc for windows and there are no details in the documents about the settings for email...... anyone know about this?

17. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

Does anyone have the admin login details for their Sky Router? I can't seem to get in...

18. sreedy macrumors 6502a

Everything I have found suggests its sky/admin but that doesn't work for me. Maybe I'll try admin/sky ... but it looks like they may have changed it.

19. steven_lufc macrumors newbie

I have just got my Sky package in the post. Is it possible to use my airport extreme wireless basestation instead of the supplied netgear one? i was thinking of upgrading to the new basestation to take advantage of the 'n' card in my MBP.

20. skulpture macrumors newbie

This is a great post as I'm just about to receive my wireless router and sky box from sky and I was wondering how it would behave with my mac's.

Hopefully it will all go smoothly!