mac snobs vs. linux snobs

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by jhu, Apr 19, 2006.

1. jhu macrumors 6502a

jhu

this thread got me thinking: who's worse, a mac snob or linux snob? both rail against microsoft. both hail the inherent virtues of their particular platform. so have at it, would you rather be in a room full of mac snobs or linux snobs?

2. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

mac snobs.

I HATE linux ones god do they piss me off.

3. CompUser Guest

a mac snob of course, because I am a partly one myself :p :cool:

We can say that we are both better than windows, but who has the most elegant and beautiful hardware?

4. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Mac Sobs. :)

Because I have a special place for them in my heart (this is mainly due to me partially being one). ;) :)

5. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Mac snobs. At least they'll help someone become a Mac snob, but Linux snobs seem to consider it a right of passage to learn it all yourself.

6. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    I'd rather be in a room full of Linux snobs. Because then I can convert them. And if they don't convert, then I will DESTROY.

I dunno, most Linux snobs I know praise the Mac platform as it ISN'T MS. I don't know a single one personally who doesn't think the Mac OS is pretty awesome in itself.

7. Queso macrumors G4

Mac snobs, easily. Mac people talk more about what they use their Macs for than what it does, so you'll have a broader range of subjects to talk about. The Linux crowd are great when you need techie help, but it's virtually all tech talk, which gets rather boring when you're amongst them all day :cool:

Nothing against Linux people though. They're all lovely, it's just Mac people are more fun.

8. floyde macrumors 6502a

floyde

Mac snobs definately. At least they wouldn't be discussing the superiority of the command line interface and demonizing me for using "proprietary" software :)

9. mwpeters8182 macrumors 6502

It depends. Some "Mac snobs" are just people who enjoy using the Mac, and will kid around with others about their computer problems being linked to windows, etc. However, there's the group of people who insist on writing "Windoze" and Micro$oft, etc. Those people drive me insane, and tend to bring down discussion. I love the Mac platform, but I can't stand a lot of the folks who defend Apple regardless of what they do.

I've seen a bit less of "windows sucks!" without an anecdote on the couple of linux boards I've searched around for help at. I think it's because many Linux users (incl. myself) use windows as well. I also think Linux-folk will continue to gravitate towards OS X, so that's good.

Actually, my answer to this question is probably "neither." Anyone who cares that much about a computing platform would drive me nuts.

Edit: Hey floyde, one of the reasons I love the mac is the fact that it's quite easy to use the command line :).

10. atari1356 macrumors 68000

atari1356

11. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    Or Amiga snobs...

Dammit, I miss Fat Agnus.

12. taytho macrumors 6502

Other than this argument why would anyone pick Linux in this MACforums site. I mean MAC is clearly the choice in this question... hands down. :cool:

13. tip macrumors 6502

tip

I dunno. I've used Linux since kernel 1.2.x, and MacOS since System 1.0, so I'd be at home either way. :p

In all seriousness though, with that thread (and the "accompanying" Digg article), I'm surprised no one mentioned BSD snobs - the OpenBSD variety were the most elitist of the bunch, in my experience.

14. jhu thread starter macrumors 6502a

jhu

you mean all three of them?

15. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Did you hear the one about the woman who was married twice, and was still a virgin? A friend asked her how that could have happened.

She said, "My first husband was a Mac user. He spent our entire honeymoon night in the hotel room playing with his PowerBook. So I dumped him."

"But what about your second marriage?" the friend asked.

"Oh, he was a Linux user. He spent our honeymoon night sitting on the end of the bed, telling me how great it was going to be."

16. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

What about the battle between OSX and MacOS/System snobs? :eek:

17. taytho macrumors 6502

Well played my friend. haha

18. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

some mac snobs i have met don't think for themselves...some linux snobs i have met are black hat hackers who not only hate a big entity like ms, but also the military, government, and police and "brag" about how many times they broke the law...for instance, check out the linux scene in an anti-establishment place like santa cruz, california (that's all i will say, he he)

both groups, or at least the extremists i have seen from those groups, irritate me to no end, but at least the mac group fanboys won't get me involved in a felony ;)

that being said, bill gates, chairman of microsoft, would never do anything illegal ;)

19. iamhammill macrumors 6502

iamhammill

Haha. Someone add a Msoft guy to the joke!

20. iShane macrumors 6502a

21. Peyton macrumors 68000

Peyton

Interesting place to ask such a question... :p

mac snobs. as we all are one. otherwise we wouldn't obsessively try to interact with them through mr :)

22. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

He spent the whole time sitting at the end of the bed telling her how much fun she was having at the time?

23. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

He spent the entire honeymoon updating his virus database and de-fragmenting his HDD.

BTW: I would pick mac Snobs of course! I would get along with everyone so well. :D :p

24. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    Microsoft.

Res ipso locutor