Mac Snobs .vs. Solaris Snobs

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Sirin, Apr 22, 2006.

?

What group of snobs would J00 rather hang with?

1. Mac Snobs

29 vote(s)
    59.2%
  2. Solaris Snobs

5 vote(s)
    10.2%
  3. But I love teh Java. :(

3 vote(s)
    6.1%
  4. What is Solaris? What is Java? Who is Sun? Who am I? Who are you?

12 vote(s)
    24.5%
  1. Sirin macrumors member

Sirin

Inspired by this thread. :)

Which group of snobs would you rather hang with? Mac snobs, or Solaris snobs?

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

seeing as i don't know any solaris snobs......

3. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

I know solaris is an OS but I know SQUAT about it or anyone who has even heard of it.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Never stare directly at the sun, and certainly never use it as the overriding do-do bit of your operating system.

As a side note, I think MacRumors members may prefer the Macs... I dunno, it just seems kinda fitting. :)

5. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

You do know a Solaris snob -- me.

I'm a dual snob. I like all Unixes ("Unicies"?), but Solaris is the one I work with the most, so I tend to promote it. Mac OS X is my other favorite.

6. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

Its a witch, its a witch!!!!! Burn him at the stake....

7. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Sounds like we a fixing for a mac snob Vs. episoft...wait they dont have snobs..they dont even have an OS:confused:

Bless

8. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

I'd rather be with Mac snobs, as, uhhh... solaris? :eek:

9. tag macrumors 6502a

tag

Wait, what exactly is 'teh Java' choice? Is that for if you like Mac better, but want to give Sun the mad cool object-oriented programming language props it deserves while at the same time not wanting to sit in a room with Solaris snobs? :p

10. amholl macrumors 6502

11. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Everyone in engineering and most people in the hard sciences have at least briefly interacted with Solaris, I'd think. But I don't think I've really met anyone who was a Solaris snob. I've wannabes who lusted after having a SPARCstation in their apartment, though, back in the day. :)

12. Sirin thread starter macrumors member

Sirin

13. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Go figure, people on MacRumors preferring Macs to other computers...what is up with that? ;) :)

14. Shamus macrumors 6502a

Shamus

15. RacerX macrumors 65832

Well, I only own two Suns, and the next one I buy is actually going to be running NEXTSTEP rather than Solaris (though I may install Solaris OpenStep if I can find either Solaris 2.4 or 2.5).

I don't know about Solaris Snobs though... for most of the last 7 or 8 years Solaris has been hanging at about the same level of obscurity that IRIX has currently reached.

I think that like the Linux community, the Solaris community learned that the only way for small platforms to survive is by being vocal. That is, after all, the primary reason for the relative success of the Mac community. After Sun dropped Solaris Intel back around 2000 or 2001 a lot of Solaris users woke up to the idea of platform evangelism.

Personally, I have no problems with either Solaris Snobs or Linux Snobs... I follow the Linux community with great interest even though I've never been able to acquire a taste for the operating system itself.

Generally I think it is a fools errand for any user of a minority platform to attack another minority platform. The goal shouldn't be for any one platform to unseat Windows as the majority platform, it should be to make Windows just another minority platform.

16. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

You've got me stumped there :( Even to the point where my P4 dual-boots OSX and Solaris

17. Queso macrumors G4

I really like Solaris, but to choose between the two OSs is difficult because they're very similar, just aimed at different markets.

Ah well, stick me down for the Mac snobs again. Once again, Mac people are just more fun. :rolleyes:

18. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Very true!

Take the members of MR for example- we all have class...... or at least some of us do...I for one may not.... ;) :)

19. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

20. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Quite, totally true.

21. RacerX macrumors 65832

A better question would be why would there need to be a home version? There isn't a home version of Mac OS X. What would a home version (of either Solaris or Mac OS X) entail?

In fact, to date the only home version of a Windows OS is Windows XP Home... which is a crippled version of Windows XP.

I guess the best answer would be that neither Sun nor Apple distributes a crippled version of their operating systems. :D

22. Church macrumors regular

Church

I don't think it really matters, snobs are snobs. If you're a snob, get over yourself, it can't be that great. lol. Can't we all just get along? :( :p

Either way, Solaris is alright. I use Solaris 9 at school and it's pretty similar to OSX, only kinda stripped down, but then again, I'm not a unix pro, so maybe OSX is the one that is stripped down! :eek::D

23. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

And one has to really ask the question... did XP really need a *crippled* version? Isn't that like seeing someone walking with a crutch and then breaking their good leg? :(

24. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Solaris 10 has a number of big differences from Solaris 9 and earlier. The new Service Management Facility takes some getting used to but is so general that it can manage all kinds of old and new services.

Solaris version numbers have been a bit confusing over the years. The O.S. was originally called simply SunOS. After it got to version 4, Sun Microsystems created Solaris, which consisted of SunOS and other software packages. They called it Solaris 2 and the O.S. portion SunOS 5. In retrospect, they named the SunOS 4 distribution "Solaris 1" to distinguish it from Solaris 2.

Solaris 2.3 came with SunOS 5.3. Solaris 2.4 came with SunOS 5.4. Solaris 2.5 came with SunOS 5.5. Solaris 2.6 came with SunOS 5.6.

Then they switched naming schemes again, and called the package Solaris 7 when they go to SunOS 5.7. The same for Solaris 8 (SunOS 5.8), Solaris 9 (SunOS 5.9), and Solaris 10 (SunOS 5.10).

By the way, Solaris is now free but requires a SPARC or x64/x86-based system. See specifications.

25. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Solaris jokes (also work on Mac OS X and many other Unixes):
    % got a light?
    No match

% man: Why did you get a divorce?
    man:: Too many arguments

% If I had a ) for every bad joke from Doctor Q, what would I have?
    Too many )'s​