Mac Software @ PC World UK

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by TBR, Apr 7, 2004.

1. TBR macrumors 6502

Feb 14, 2004
    Blackpool - England
    I was in PC world oday, not a place I regulary vist.

I went to look at the Mac software as I remembered I was impressed last time as they actally had some in :) (very small amount about 1/2 a small shelf)

Anyway this time there is almost half an isle, (small isles)

I was absolutly flabbergasted, impressed and happy............until.

I didn't have the chance to do through everything but I think almost every piece of software in the Mac section was from Microsoft. Various version's of office and other bit's and pieces.

Now I think it's great that there is a larger Mac presence but I'm really not sure if this is actually a 100% good thing or not?.

What are your thoughts?
  2. varmit macrumors 68000

Aug 5, 2003
    Better selection

At CompUSA. The store you walked into is for PC only basically, just like Best Buy, no Mac software what so ever. Yours has the basics, which is Office, which is something any person would need, so they have both PC and Mac, a good choice if they were to cary anything at all for the Mac.
  3. _pb_boi macrumors 6502

Feb 25, 2004
    Ok, now for the second reply. Stupid computer wiped out the first one, darnit.

Your average PC user goes to PC World. He sees pretty Mac's - "ohhhh... AND they have Microsoft apps!" So PC World are using familiar applications to appease potential switchers - it's a security blanket, a way of switching them with the minimum of discomfort. Now PC World doesn't care if it's Apple or PC's - it's money. This way, it's a win win situation. There is logic.

I wouldn't worry that they're Microsoft. Microsoft do make some good software; Mac Office runs faster, more stable, and with mre features, on Mac OS X - because they don't have time trying to deal with inherent stability issues.

4. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

Nov 30, 2003
    I don't really view microsoft the same way when it comes to their mac sw. they would not make near as much from mac office as the pc version. for some reason though the mac version many times has new features first and even some that never get put in the pc version. i'm not a fan of ms at all but with what I just mentioned they do gain some respect from me. making the lesser selling version more advanced shows dedication to quality. I bet the mac team for ms has their own building and everything. bill has always been a fan of macs.

as for all the ms sw in the store. they should try and sell more mac staple apps. at least mostly ms mac sw is better than no mac sw. another thing to keep in mind is that the first version of word ever was for mac.
  5. TBR thread starter macrumors 6502

Feb 14, 2004
    Blackpool - England
    I think it is good that there is now a larger presence I just wish there was more software from other vendors there, there wasn't even a copy of iLife anywhere.