Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GyroFX

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 14, 2002
Los Angeles and NorCal
Has anyone tried the G4 towers with a normal sound sys i.e. 2 speakers and a sub (a 2.1 basic system) plugged into the headphone out? In addition, with a pair of pro speakers hooked into the pro speaker mini jacks? Thus, making it wannabe 4.1 in total? I'm just asking if this is possible and if anyone has tried it. Also, would the sound be better?...and are there audio level controls on the pro speakers so to make the level equal? Thanx

CXL

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
Haven't tried that particular configuration but I have a 1/8" stereo splitter out of the back of my audio out that gives me two stereo outs. One goes to my 2.1 system and the other goes to my good ol' Pioneer stereo receiver and speaker cabinets, so when I'm in the mood for a better range of sound I just turn that puppy on. Seems to work pretty nicely!

mymemory

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2001
Miami
I would say is to spend too much time with an audio output like that. I mean, plug your speakers true and Audio Media 3 card and you will tell the difference. The MP3 would sound like actual CDs. That is why I do not put too much emphasis to the audio i/o of the mac.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Re: Mac Sound question...

Originally posted by GyroFX
Has anyone tried the G4 towers with a normal sound sys i.e. 2 speakers and a sub (a 2.1 basic system) plugged into the headphone out? In addition, with a pair of pro speakers hooked into the pro speaker mini jacks? Thus, making it wannabe 4.1 in total? I'm just asking if this is possible and if anyone has tried it. Also, would the sound be better?...and are there audio level controls on the pro speakers so to make the level equal? Thanx

CXL

Wouldn't plugging into the headphone jack kill the output to the propriatary<sp?> Apple audio out? Even if it didn't, what would you hope to accopmlish? You'd have 2 sets of stereo speakers outputting the same audio (no 4.1 action going on here). I don't see how this would improve anything. Stereo is designed to be heard thru a left speaker, and a right speaker. I don't think having 2 lefts, and 2 rights is gonna make it sound 2 times as good. ;) :D

I agree w/mymemory that if you want yer audio to sound better/have more control over it buy a PCI sound card. But I don't see how that would improve the sound of yer MP3s (the only way to have good sounding MP3s is to encode at a very high bit rate). If anything better speakers would show, more so, how poorly your average MP3 really sounds.

Lethal

GyroFX

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 14, 2002
Los Angeles and NorCal
sorry, after thinking about what i'm trying to accomplish, I feel very moronic! I mean, i'm trying to send sound through the headphone jack and the speaker output at the same time...paradox per se. Anyway, i was trying for a suedo 4.1...more like all channels coming at me at the same time...maybe just a bit louder?...haha. Anyway, now my question is related to the Pro Speakers. Like how they suck and such, and if I can get them to amplify more if i buy an iSub to compliment the Pro Speakers...do the Pro Speakers plug into the iSub to get extra power or no? I need to know cuz i bought some pro speakers and I realize that what i'm trying to do is not possible and am about to return the item before i open it. So, any suggestion is helpful. Can't believe the damn Pro Speakers are 55 dollars...not even worth 35....imho...Thanx

CXL

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.