.Mac speeds

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by xli_ne, Nov 4, 2005.

1. xli_ne macrumors 6502a

xli_ne

Any file over 150-200 MB I can't get to my .Mac account. I just drag the file over to my idisk and it will just sit there and say its copy forever. Then I have to restart my powerbook to get rid of the message, cause it will say there is 5 sec. left for 10 min. Smaller files are no problem, just huge ones. Is there a better way to put these on my idisk or does anyone else have these problems?

2. Nuc macrumors 6502a

Nuc

iDisk Utility

I noticed that using iDisk Utility and opening the your iDisk seems to be better. Your results may vary.

Nuc

3. lopresmb macrumors 6502

yeah I experience simiar results when trying to upload stuff to my iDisk, its painfully slow, like a megabyte a 30 sec or so. (takes 10 minutes for a couple of mp3 files).

4. radiantm3 macrumors 65816

radiantm3

You know a file that big will take an hour or more depending on your connection. Yes it says 5 seconds left, but it's still copying over your file. If you are on a standard cable connection, expect to wait about an hour. If you are on dsl, you probably have to wait at least 2 hours.

5. radiantm3 macrumors 65816

radiantm3

Again, has nothing to do with .mac. Your ISP caps your upload speed much lower than your download speed. Most DSL providers (at least around here) cap uploads at around 10-20kb/sec. With that in mind, expect about 3 minutes to upload one 3meg song on average.

6. xli_ne thread starter macrumors 6502a

xli_ne

well that sucks. thanks for the info though

7. radiantm3 macrumors 65816

radiantm3

If you want a more accurate way to see the transfer, you can connect to .mac via ftp with transmit, or enable iDisk syncing which is available in the .Mac preferences.