Mac Speeds

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by doox00, May 10, 2006.

1. doox00 macrumors regular

I would like to get a mac, I have not had one in about 15 years, last time I had one it was a Mac SE with 2.5mb of ram and a 40mb hard drive, at the time it was awesome!! I think System 7 had just came out also at the time.

Anyways, now its time to get a mac to play around with and learn. But the speeds have me confused. I am looking for something used and cheap, but still a little fast, I hate really slow.. What would a G4 733mhz be equalevilent in PC world.. like P4 2.4ghz? AMD Athlon XP speeds? Is a G4 733mhz a decent system still? Reason I ask is they seem to go for semi reasonable price on ebay, 200-350 dollars... The couple hundred dollar range is all I can afford atm.

thanks for any input.

2. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

Ah, the infamous MHZ myth kicks in..
    According to Apple, a 800 mhz G4 dismantles a 1.8 ghz P4. I wouldn't say that a 733 mhz G4 can beat a 2.4 P4, that's a tough one. But I can tell you that my iMac G5 (1.8 ghz) is just as fast/faster than a 3 ghz P4.

3. doox00 thread starter macrumors regular

well I know you can't compare mhz to mhz, I just do not have the knowledge of what mac speeds mean, like I know in the pc world. take a 2ghz athlon 64 x2 cpu, that will eat a p4 running at 3.6ghz up. So I know mhz is not everything, but when you are talking a g4 at 733mhz and a g5 at 1.8ghz.. thats a large difference, and talking the same platform (like going from a p3 1ghz to a p4 2.8ghz, the p4 is much much faster).

will a g4 733 run the latest mac os, with latest applications quickly still (lets say 512mb of ram)? Or is it quite dated and the couple hundred dollars spent on it would be better used towards a newer faster system?

4. Mernak macrumors 6502

i use a a g3 800mHz and i had a g4 800mHz and they were significantly faster than my grandparents P4 2gHz. as long as you are not doing anything to processor intensive. i can browse the internet, use NeoOffice(word processor), listen to music and chat on Msn with 256 ram without too many problems.