Mac stinks! (now I got your attention) ;P

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Josias, Dec 23, 2006.

1. Josias macrumors 68000

Josias

No, not really, I just found out how genius macs are, and had to share it.:D

(Please stick around, this is a good story).:)

Yesterday I installed iWork '06 to do some stuff. The first wierd thing to happen was, that when it said "update for Keynote available", and I clicked "go to software update", nothing happned. And when opening software update manually, it didn't say anything about updates for iWork...

Anyway, installinf iWork brought my spare HDD capacity down to only 6 GB (I have the stock 60 GB drive). I don't know if this was the cause, but my fanss started to get really loud, I mean very loud. Even playing music loduly qouldn't cover it up completely.

I tried to reset the PMU and SMU, neither worked. In my desperation (is that a word?), I called AppleCare. A nice man asked me to do to the following: Safe boot, Zap the PRAM, AHT, remove iWork, re-install the OS. I thanked him, and started my quest!:p

The Safe Boot and PRAM reset didn't work. The Hardware Test showed everything fine. I removed all tracks of iWork. Nothing helped. I then re-installed the OS!:eek:

Not a clean install of course (phew). Just the one where you replace the 5.1 GB of core system files. Anyway, it went fine. I booted up in 10.4.6, and went to softwareupdate, with my fans still going strong.:(

I needed to update QT, Java and the OS (to 10.4.8). I discovered that I now had QT 7.0.4, and that my QT Pro license was gone!:eek: (now it's getting exciting)... I got really pissed. Then to calm me down, I decided to play a bit with Photobooth, as I was downloading the updates. Photobooth then told me, another program was using the iSight. I tried iChat AV, but that said the same.

I then checked Acticity Monitor, and quit "iChat Agent", nothing helped. I then found an "application" deep into the system called iSight Updater. I launched it, and it asked me to connect an iSight. BTW, during this period, the green light next to the iSight never had turned on. I was ready to shoot the balls of myself, when software update told me it couldn't download the 10.4.8 update, as there was a -1001 error (network timeout).

I then manually downloaded it from apple.com. After installing I told it to restart, and it turned off normally. Booted up, heard the glad little chime, saw the lightblue screen with the Apple and the gay little beachball spinning. It stayed like that for around 6 minutes. I got really angry.

I want down to eat dinner, and when I came back 25 minutes later, it was still standing there, with that little gay beach ball spinning like some f*cked up ferris wheel. I did a force reboot, and ran the AHT once again. Said everything was fine.

I then did a Safe Boot (booting while holding the shift key). It stayed for around 8 minutes on the screen, the suddenly turned off. I gave up, and started my Xbox 360, but then I heard the SuperDrive noise and the chime!:D

It was alive, and booing into 10.4.8 in 25 seconds.:D

My Quicktime Pro license was back, the iSight worked, everything was perfect. The fans were all quiet, so my problems were solved.

Now I'm just considering whether to install iWork again...

Oh yeah, and before the install, I had 9 GB left (after removing iWork). Now I have 14 GB (yes, everything is there!):D

Thanks for listening.;)

Dramatization. May not have happened.

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

I have nothing better to do.

3. nitynate macrumors 6502a

That made me laugh out loud.:p

4. Josias thread starter macrumors 68000

Josias

Well, 113 people looked, but only two replied... I knew that title would attract people!:D

5. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

LOL got my attention

I had the same updating problem with iWork. Very irritating :mad: