Mac Suddenly VERY Unstable

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ee99ee, Aug 21, 2006.

1. ee99ee macrumors 6502

ee99ee

Yesterday afternoon, I was working away and all of the sudden things started acting very weird. I was in Photoshop slicing up a PSD and it suddenly crashed. I clicked Reopen, and it crashed again. Then, Dreamweaver stopped responding. Next, it crashed. When it opened back up, it froze on open. Next, finder crashed and restarted about 5 times in a row before it finally came back up. Next, Safri's window was replaced with a white box where it's window was.

I rebooted, and when things came back up it was *very* slow loading. Once the applications loaded, everything seemed fine. Photoshop wouldn't load, and Skype wouldn't load. I would click their icon in the dock, they would bounce, then nothing would happen and they would stop bouncing.

In the middle of typing this, Safri just crashed. I had copied the post to the clipboard, because I figured it would crash. It's not just Safri that's unstable, EVERYTHING is. When I was typing the URL in the browser just a second ago, I got these weird black lines in the address bar and I couldn't see what I was typing. Once I hit enter, it was fine.

What is going on? I just switched to a mac not too long ago, and I haven't had any issues up until now. I haven't installed any new software in the past week, just been working on a few web design projects, nothing really even that demanding.

Help!

2. ee99ee thread starter macrumors 6502

ee99ee

Well, at least this post was made. When I clicked submit, Safri was replaced with a white window again. When I closed it from the Dock, the Dock restarted 3 times. This is crazy. When I launch FireFox, it crashes right away.

3. JasonElise1983 macrumors 6502a

JasonElise1983

are you sure you aren't using a PC?...lol, just joking

I'm probably not much help, but what Mac do you own? Just wondering because i just got my MBP in and all my Adobe apps crash randomly on it. I think it's a rosetta problem, but who knows. What version of this software do you have?

-JE

4. Queso macrumors G4

Sounds like hard disk corruption to me. Start by repairing permissions in your Disk Utility program and see if that gets round the applications not starting issue.

5. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Is it giving you kernel panics at all? Does the machine recognize all the installed RAM?

6. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

Yeah, it sounds like a RAM issue to me. Perhaps a module is not seated properly or is simply bad? Although I thought usually RAM issues in Macs resulted in kernel panics..

By the way, you know it's called Safari, right? :eek:

7. ee99ee thread starter macrumors 6502

ee99ee

Yeah, Safari... sorry, I haven't had coffee yet... haha

It's a PowerMac G5. No, no kernel panics just VERY unstable all of the sudden. Yes, it shows all the RAM.

8. ee99ee thread starter macrumors 6502

ee99ee

From dmesg, I am getting about 1 of these a second:

"PowerMac11_2_SlewCtrlLoop::setVoltageSlewIndex - slew request timed out"

-Chris

9. ee99ee thread starter macrumors 6502

ee99ee

Well, I went into System Preferences and changed the preformance to High. I rebooted, and now things seem a little better. Time will tell...

-Chris

10. NickElls macrumors 6502

NickElls

Did you recently plug in any new USB devices?

My old iSub kernel panic'd my iMac.

11. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

I'm with dynamicv. I think it's the hard drive that's starting to act up. I'd try to fsck it.

12. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

I didn't see whether you're running Panther or Tiger. If it's 10.4.x, using Disk Utility for repair permissions will also allow you to check your HD to make sure it "verifies".

13. pmartin macrumors regular

Get a copy of remember and run that all night, should tell you if your RAM is good.