Mac SW from PC version

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Les Kern, Feb 24, 2006.

1. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

If you could write a program for the Mac that is only available on a PC, what would it be? Is there a vertical-marketing app you've seen on the PC that is SO cool and you were SO bummed to find out it was only available on Windows??

2. VanNess macrumors 6502a

VanNess

Off the top of my head, one thing that the Mac platform lacks (and should get way more attention than present) are decent counterparts to Yahoo and MSN chat clients. The clients put out by Yahoo and, particularly, MSN are unflinchingly substandard to their PC counterparts. (Although there is a rumor floating around that Yahoo is getting ready to release an updated and fully featured Mac client. I'll believe it when I see it.)

There are several open source alternatives (as I'm sure others will chime in) but, feature for feature, they still fall short of the PC versions, particularly webcam support and lately, VOIP support. Personally, I rarely (and I mean rarely) use chat, and of course Apple's iChat is great - if you have AOL and/or .Mac. But that's where the problem begins...

AOL (and .Mac) may be fine in this country, but overseas (especially Asia) Yahoo and MSN rule the roost. One way (besides the iPod maker bragging rights) to expand the Mac platform's recognition and acceptance is to get young folks interested early in the Mac. And what (besides games, Music related stuff and internet browsing) are many young folks doing with a computer? They chat, they webcam, they socialize on the computer. I think it's one of the most overlooked areas of software on the platform for potential "switchers" especially young people overseas in Asia where Windows and the PC is just about all there is to see from horizon to horizon. But the iPod has become a big hit there now, so Apple's brand is probably in a never before seen position to capitalize on it. But any kid in Asia who would even bother to check out a Mac would at some point look for all the familiar chat clients used on a PC and be very disappointed at the limitations in the Mac offerings. To the point of where it becomes a barrier to entry, in other words: No sale.

If you want evidence, look no further at sites like Friendster or MySpace, which are hugely popular with mostly young folks. Browse around and virtually everywhere you'll see references to MSN (mostly) Yahoo (occasionally) and AOL (rarely). In Asian countries, you won't see anything else but MSN and Yahoo.

So a killer chat client that offers 100% feature parity with any and all current Windows clients would get my vote, especially since Apple seems sort of blind-sighted regarding the importance of a cross-platform, service independent, full-featured chat client as a strategic technology in exposing the Mac platform in an uncompromising way to younger users, both here and abroad. Like I said, iChat is great, but it's dead on arrival in Asia and other countries.