Mac System Control/Security Program Ideas

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ~Shard~, Apr 5, 2006.

1. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

My brother works for Faronics, a company which develops utilities for security and control of multi-user computing environments. (They target schools, government, healthcare organizations, libraries, etc.) One of their main programs which was just reviewed by MacWorld is Deep Freeze.

Anyway, my brother actually just took on a new position - Product Manager for their Mac development shop, so I thought that was very cool indeed!

He's very excited to be working on the Mac side of things, being an avid Mac user himself, and asked me the other day if I had any ideas for enhancements they could make to their existing Mac offerings, or any new solutions they could develop which play in the security, system control, etc. space.

So, I thought what better way to get some quality ideas than ask my fellow colleagues here on MacRumors for their input! :)

If you have any ideas of programs of this nature which you would like to see or that you think would be cool, please share your thoughts with me - I'd really appreciate it. Or, perhaps there are freeware applications out there which you use for similar functions, but would like to see more professional, robust, feature-rich versions of. Just let me know and I'll pass along any feedback to my brother.

And hey, if you have any questions about their products, etc., just PM me. ;)

Thanks in advance for any comments/suggestions you may have. It's great being part of a community like MacRumors which has such a wide knowledge base to draw on, and I think in a situation like this it's great, because your suggestions, requests, etc. can get passed on to someone who can listen and potentially act on them. :cool:

Cheers,
    Shard

2. ~Shard~ thread starter macrumors P6

~Shard~

Further to my above post, I guess I'm also curious what everyone's favorite existing utilities are when it comes to system control, etc. on their Macs. When it comes to security, obviously AV, anti-spyware, etc. apps aren't required as much as they are in the Windows world (although that changes a bit with boot camp!), so what else do the average Mac users have a need for and find useful? Or perhaps, more appropriately, what do Admins of Mac networks find useful with respect to these types of utilities?

3. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

4. ~Shard~ thread starter macrumors P6

~Shard~

Cool, I never knew about this little program. Looks slick, I might have to check it out. Thanks. :cool:

5. ~Shard~ thread starter macrumors P6

~Shard~

Surely some other members here have some comments regarding this topic? :confused: Perhaps everyone has been preoccupied with all the Boot Camp news... ;)