Mac Tablet?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by quicksilverpdx, Dec 13, 2006.

1. quicksilverpdx macrumors member

Anyone heard any roumors of this and what are you feeling on a Mac Tablet?

2. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

never heard about it, not sure how i feel, PC tablets' market share is near 0

3. tominated macrumors 68000

tominated

if you don't want to wait, hack an old powerbook/ibook. don't ruin a brand new macbook

4. quicksilverpdx thread starter macrumors member

What about even a pda like the newton! Why hasnt apple captured this market again?

5. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

Apple seems to be uninterested in this market. it doesn't fit with their business plan right now and it probably will not in the future. it's an interesting idea but it never caught on. even in the Windows world, tablets are not as popular as regular notebooks, at least from what i observe around me (read: i have no statistical data to back up this statement, only my observations).

6. quicksilverpdx thread starter macrumors member

Wasnt the newton one of the mos popular pda's at the time it was out?

7. NorCalLights macrumors 6502a

It was the most popular PDA at the time it launched... because there wasn't much competition. Sales slumped, so they dropped the product in an effort to streamline their product line.

There are rumors of a Mac tablet all the time, but nothing has materialized. I don't know that it will never happen, but I don't see it happening in the next year or two. But I'm always happy to eat my words. I'd love one.

8. AppleIntelRock macrumors 65816

AppleIntelRock

I'd only see point in a tablet if it had a keyboard and a portable screen- ux 50.

9. ozone macrumors 6502

ozone

I've said it before... I would love to see Apple introduce a tablet. Very useful for the education market and maybe the high end professional market.

This sounds stupid, but I'd actually buy a 17" tablet. Not too portable, but I like a large, expansive writing area. Well, my wife would think I'm being ridiculous, but what the heck. :D

10. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

It should have more functions then just a tablet. Use it as an ipod/phone/addressbook/ical/etc if you are on the road and use it in home for sitting on the couch, read your mail, internet, use it as a remote control for your tv/stereo and offcourse check everything in your home (turn up the heat, open a window, check your security camera's, you name it!).

11. weg macrumors 6502a

weg

In education, I know quite a lot of people who use a tablet PC. Since Apple is traditionally strong in the educational sector and in the creative/graphics area, I think a Mac Tablet would be a very nice idea. I'm sure I'll get one when my Powerbook dies or isn't fast enough anymore.. the IBM X60 tablet is really tempting. I'm already using a Wacom Tablet with my Powerbook, so a Tablet PC would be the next logical step.

12. AppleIntelRock macrumors 65816

AppleIntelRock

I think a mac tablet would work if:

*It had a built in DVD drive
    *If it had a 7 inch widescreen
    *If it were less then 3 pounds
    *If it wasn't excessively skinny and thus difficult to grip
    *If the battery life was such that one could use it as a daily companion (5 hours with screen on dimmest setting)
    *If it were price affordably, and not priced similar to a full featured laptop:
    ---Version One: 20 GB HDD, CD 1.83 GHz, 512 MB RAM, Combo drive- $599.
    ---Version Two: 60 GB HDD, CD 2.0 GHz, 1 GB RAM, Super drive- $799
    ---Version Three (Black): 60 GB HDD, CD 2.0 GHz, 1 GB RAM, Super drive- $879