Mac The Ripper Back

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Artful Dodger, Nov 8, 2005.

1. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

2. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

3. NYJetsFan macrumors member

NYJetsFan

Thanks for the post...is there a new version out?

"D"

4. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Nope - 2.6.6.

5. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

I tried backing up Star Wars 3 using the previous MtR 2.6.4 and it crashes the program. 2.6.6 solves the issue for me. :D

6. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Excellent news! I hope this critical app continues to be developed. I've made backup DVDs of just about every DVD I've bought, and can watch my favorite show (I'll bet you can't guess what that is :rolleyes:) without worry that I'll need to re-purchase DVDs because of a scratched disc.

7. GorillaPaws macrumors 6502a

GorillaPaws

Thanks for posting this. I've wanted this for a while now. Did something change legally so that everything's cool w/ them now? I thought the very nature of making a DVD backup necessitates breaking the encryption on the disc and thereby violating the DMCA. Has a recent court ruling made an exception in this case or is this still kinda shady for them? Just curious.

8. benpatient macrumors 68000

well, there are commercially-available solutions that facilitate "breaking the encryption" which is so thoroughly broken now that I think the DVD forum gave up on any hope of stopping people from making copies. Seems to be a legally hazy area, but then again the DMCA probably wouldn't survive intact if it went to the supreme court with a number of it's provisions, so who knows what sort of teeth it really has. The fair use argument is hard to ignore, even in it's (true) limited scope.

9. eclipse525 macrumors 6502a

eclipse525

Yeah, I've been using "Fast DVD Copy 4.0.1" and it's easy and copies most everything BUT it's strange that the copied DVD's work on some players and not on others. Example, it works on my commercial DVD player(sony) but not on my brothers, which is also Sony but a different model. I've tried this on others and the same result. Seems like it has problems with newer players. Any clues?

~e

10. Will Cheyney macrumors 6502a

Will Cheyney

I have always found Handbrake to be much better.

11. bryanc macrumors 6502

I have a small collection of DVDs, several of which have already been scratched. Fortunately, I used MtR and Popcorn to back them up before they were damaged.

However, because the DVD writer I've been using is a single layer burner, I've had to compress them to fit on the 4.7Gb media. Generally this is not too much of a problem.

But, for my boxed set of the Lord of the Rings, I'd like to re-do them all as uncompressed copies on double layer media, now that I've got a new PowerBook with a DL burner. As far as I can tell, popcorn won't do this (or has it been updated?)

Any suggestions?

12. telecomm macrumors 65816

telecomm

Different use—Handbrake only outputs compressed files, MacTheRipper outputs uncompressed video.

13. Artful Dodger thread starter macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

I should make a note of this in my post but...3.0 is out but only if you contact the developers and make a donation ;) and to keep this in the same ballpark DVD2onex has an update 2.0 "but" you have to pay for that as it's a new version***beware*** as I've read up on it it has some terrible bugs so save your current ver. of it just in case. As for price it ranges from $30-$40 with the currency exchange, about the same as Popcorn.
    As of now I'll stick with the last ver. of both as they say "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"

14. eclipse525 macrumors 6502a

eclipse525

15. xeriscape8321 macrumors newbie

Mac the Ripper and Toast 7 =video with lots of jerky stops

I have used MTH to rip several DVD's and burned them with Toast 7.0. Each time the video produced has many points where it stops for a second and then continues on. This jerky stop and start is only for a second and occurs maybe every 5 minutes....any ideas on why this occurs and how I can fix it? I am running a power mac G4 with a gig+ of memory.

16. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

where would I be without MTR?

Movieless thats for sure.

Can you make donations.

Edit: the website doesnt work.

17. M-theory macrumors 6502

M-theory

aargh...site is down...any alternative dl sites?

18. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

19. RitchieDeMan macrumors member

I Have never had any problems using MTR & Toast 7 on my Duo Core, G5 iMac or my powerbook. Always had perfect results.

What DVD media are you using? Is it possible that this could be your problem.

Maybe you should save as a disk image then mount it in toast and see if if plays ok. If so, then the media you are using is the problem :)

20. M-theory macrumors 6502

M-theory

21. M-theory macrumors 6502

M-theory

22. mileslong macrumors 6502

mileslong

there is a new version of MTR 3.0. you have to donate to get it however. the developer will send you a link if you donate. i did and 3.0 has some cool new features and works like a charm...

23. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Can you send me that link? :p :D ;)