Mac the Ripper issues?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by VforVelveta, Nov 16, 2006.

1. VforVelveta macrumors regular

VforVelveta

So I recently got my 17" C2D MBP (my first Mac, so forgive any n00bish questions I ask), and just for kicks I tried out a DVD on it and, as expected, it worked fine.
    However, tonight I installed Mac the Ripper and Handbrake so I can rip DVD's onto my iPod, and when I put a DVD in it couldn't be read. Mac the Ripper wouldn't detect it, and DVD Player said the format was unrecognized or unreadable, something along those lines.
    I looked into it a little and someone on another forum said he had the same problem after upgrading to 10.4.8. I thought that perhaps there was something about Mac the Ripper and 10.4.8 that was making the DVD drive not work, so I really quick uninstalled Mac the Ripper and restarted, and lo and behold the DVD drive worked fine.
    Has anyone else experienced this? For all I know there might be some system preference I'm not seeing that would solve the problem, but I'm not too sure. Any help would be great.

2. pinto32 macrumors 6502

Its not uncommon for software like MTR to break when te OS is upgraded (even slightly). I would check out the MTR boards to see what is up there.

3. Bobjob186 macrumors 6502

I use mac the ripper all the time and I'm on 10.4.8. If I were you i'd get DVD2ONEX 2, it's awesome for post MTR. Hope it all works out.

4. PYR0M310N macrumors 6502a

PYR0M310N

it may be that there are some compatibility problems with the c2d, but i think it is unlikely

5. red41 macrumors regular

Another question about MTR, and take it easy on me as I am a pretty casual mac user. When I rip a dvd to my hard drive I just drop it into a blank dvd and burn it. The DVD doesn't work on my mac mini but it does work on my DVD player (that can play just about any format). Any ideas on how to burn DVD's that will play on pretty much anything. I know someone above mentioned a burning software but is that free? Or is there something else that might help me out?

6. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

It probably needs to be burned as a DVD-ROM(UDF) data disk. Toast will do that. It's almost a must have if you do much CD/DVD burning.

7. red41 macrumors regular

Toast costs around 50-100 bucks yeah? I can still play them on my DVD player which is all I really need, but that is good to know. Thanks!

8. pinto32 macrumors 6502

Actually, if you check out Mac Bytes, there was a posting a few days ago of a great sale on Toast, it was either $29 or $39.