Mac the ripper newbie question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by steamboat26, Jul 30, 2006.

1. steamboat26 macrumors 65816

steamboat26

I just downloaded MTR, and when i inserted a DVD and let it back up, i opened the DVD file in the finder, and all i got was the Video_TS and Audio_TS folders (the audio one was empty). When i open the video file, i just get a bunch of (dot) something files. How do i get it to play the DVD to make sure the ripping worked?
    Thanks, and sorry if this question has been asked already (i searched, but it didn't turn up anything that answers my question)

2. JGruber macrumors 6502

Best way to test it is to open the Application DVD Player - go to File > Open DVD Media > Locate your VIDEO_TS file you want to play...

the AUDIO_TS folder will also be empty, you need the VIDEO_TS to play the DVD.. The main file that is playable is a .vob file.

3. steamboat26 thread starter macrumors 65816

steamboat26

thanks, the directions on the MTR website really confused me :eek:

4. d wade macrumors 65816

d wade

VLC player will play virtually anything.

are you planning on burning your ripped DVDs to a disc to view in a DVD player?

5. steamboat26 thread starter macrumors 65816

steamboat26

I'm not really sure yet
    I might do that and erase the ripped DVD from my hard drive to save space.
    or i might just not burn it to a DVD, and find a way to watch it in front row.

6. JGruber macrumors 6502

if you are just going to rip it and watch it locally, I would HIGHLY recommend Handbrake. It will convert your DVD to .mp4 and make the file size less then 1gb.

Then you can slap that .mp4 file into your Movies Folder and watch it with Front Row!

7. d wade macrumors 65816

d wade

thats what i do. you can burn it to a DVD and delete it off your hard drive to save space. you can then use that disc to watch it on a big TV that has a DVD player or.. you can always put the disc into the computer and watch it that way.

or you can just keep it on your hard drive and watch it with VLC player. all up to you :D