mac the ripper slooow

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by buckwheat, Dec 4, 2006.

1. buckwheat macrumors member

buckwheat

As a baseline, my junky little 1.8mhz PC Celeron will read, rip and write a -r dvd all in about 25 minutes. The DVD is an 8x.

Using a Macbook Pro 2.33 17", I'm now using Mac the Ripper and Toast - the combo I was advised as the best. Problem is this: MTR is painfully slow, usually takes about an hour + to d-macro. Add read/write times for the new DVD and we're approaching 1.5-2.0 hours. There has got to be a better idea.

Somebody mentioned that Toast in a DATA format will read the DVD, encryption and all, and re-write another encrypted DVD. Is this usuable in normal players? Does it really just dupe it?

I think MTR is fine, and it leaves me with a de-RIAA'd version of my DVD that I have purchased. Which it should have been to begin with. But do I really NEED a non-encrypted new-DVD, if I'm just going to use it as a backup?

And finally, isn't there a better solution to MTR for speed?

2. Scottyk9 macrumors 6502a

isn't mactheripper PPC? if it is, that means it is running under Rosetta (intel Macs), which likely slows it down substantially

3. hanschien macrumors 6502

hanschien

There is a universal binary build

4. Scottyk9 macrumors 6502a

where? all I seem to be able to find is 2.6 - there is mention of 3.0 (UB), but no download links (at least from versiontracker)

5. dusanv macrumors 6502

I had the same problem with the Mac Pro. It turned out to be the Apple firmware on the Superdrive. It was treating all DVDs and music CDs as media and driving them *really* slowly and quietly, even when ripping them. Once I flashed the stock Pioneer firmware on the drive, all was well.

6. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

http://www.ripdifferent.com/phpbb2/index.php

Sign up to the forum, donate for the cause and in return you'll get a download link for the latest beta. :)

And yes, an external drive is a must since the internals have ripguard and are slowed down by the firmware.

7. simontarr macrumors 6502

simontarr

Would you mind explaining this further please? Sounds rather interesting...

As for ripping, just use Handbrake. You won't get VOBs out of it, but a nice AVI/MPG instead. Suppose it saves on disc space!

8. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

...and has lower quality.

All DVD drives have a slowed down rip speed which is based on the firmware. For some drives there is another firmware available that takes that away and let's you rip at the speed the drive can as opposed to the speed the MPAA/RIAA want you to.

9. simontarr macrumors 6502

simontarr

Maybe, but a good AVI is pretty darn comparible to any DVD at normal viewing distance. The compression is worth the disk space saved, IMO.

This firmware though...are the Core 1 Duo iMac drives capable of being flashed to remove that crappy MPAA/RIAA stranglehold?

10. dusanv macrumors 6502

Apple's doing that, not MPAA/RIA. Stock firmware from Pioneer works just fine for me unlike the Apple supplied one (yes, they are different).

11. simontarr macrumors 6502

simontarr

Yeah I assumed they were, but I'm guessing they've restricted it from pressure by the MPAA/RIAA.

If you have any instructions on how to do this, I would be grateful. No worries if not, but if you have 5 mins, would be appreciated. Cheers

12. dusanv macrumors 6502

I used Windows to flash the drive. I got the firmware off tdb.rpc1.org. Use the 1.06 firmware first (the one with the * in the filename). Reboot. Then flash to 1.29 (again in Windows). Done.

If you don't have Windows, there's a Mac flasher on forum.rpc1.org. I haven't used it but some people did it that way. Ask there.

Added benefit of all of this is the fact you get the region free firmware on the drive as well.

HTH.

edit: Those links I posted are for the Pioneer 111D drive that's in my Mac Pro. You probably don't want those firmwares for an iMac.

13. simontarr macrumors 6502

simontarr

Thank you for the reply. At least I know where to start looking now.

Cheers

Simon