mac the ripper

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by AudiGuy, Jun 19, 2005.

1. AudiGuy macrumors regular

i ripped a dvd with this program, but for some reason i cant play the video. do i have to get another program like a virtual drive or somthing? why cant i watch the videos that i ripped on my hard drive? do i have to burn it to a dvd-r in order to see it?

2. Huked on Fonick macrumors 6502

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/21117

That should do it... It will also save u alot of HD space by converting the dvd to mpeg-4.

On your PC you can use RATDVD to rip the dvd and keep all the dvd extra(like menus, different camera angle, alternate endings, etc) in a fraction of the space... it will also play in any standard media player(windows media player for example)(idont know about quicktime or VLC but the makers claim any stand media player will play it and mention WMP) RATdvd takes up alot less spalce than a regular dvd and offers all the bells and wisles....check it out..
    http://www.ratdvd.dk/play.htm

Tell me if its any good if u try it i havent tried it yet(on my to do list)

Enjoy

3. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Once you rip the DVD with MacTheRipper, you then just need to File > Open VIDEO_TS Folder from within DVD Player, navigate to and choose the VIDEO_TS folder from the rip and you should be good to go.

4. AudiGuy thread starter macrumors regular

i use my IRIVER as an mp3 player on the train to school, or whenever i travel, i plug a mini jack thats hardwired to my car when i drive. FM transmitters arent for me. i use it as a protable hard drive and transfer files between my PC and mac and the PCs and macs at school. not everyone has itunes so i didnt want to deal with installing software in order to transfer files. believe it or not, i used to have bought and returned 3 ipods within a month because they kept failing on me the 1st day. im not saying all ipods fail, i guess i just have bad luck with ipods and i will never buy one again unless they can make it as easy as the IRIVER to transfer files between mac and PC

5. AudiGuy thread starter macrumors regular

so what exactly does handbrake do? sorry im new to all this

6. Huked on Fonick macrumors 6502

Handbrake will turn ur Ripped DVD file into a MPEG-4 File. The file will go from being around around 4.7 gigs to being 1 gig.(like CD to MP3) You loose all the dvd special features doing this but keep the quality. RatDVD allows u to keep these special features intact while making the file smaller. RatDVD can easy go back to DVD too(i play with it last night its cool). RatDVD only works on PC. Dont know if ur interested in this or not, DVD are to big to really keep on ur computer(unless u have lots of and lots of HD space).

Both RatDVD and Handbrake will create a file capable of being played in most any media player (quicktime, VLC, WMP etc.) Answering ur original question on how to play ur ripped dvd(or u can do it as stated above)

7. millso17 macrumors newbie

Has anybody ever posted a sticky - a guide to ripping DVD's for playing on standard TV DVD players? I have to admit, I find the world of 'encoding' 'decoding' and the numerous file formats associated with it a bit daunting!

8. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Being as the practice of ripping DVD's is generally (but not always) associated with pirating the DVDs, I sincerely doubt there will ever be a FAQ or sticky on the subject. Piracy in all it's forms is illegal and will not be tolerated on MacRumors.

Most people who post questions about it walk a fine line between discussion of technology and asking for help to pirate coyright material.

If you have a question to do with transcoding, the digital Video forum here might help, as long as it is clear you are not requesting help with piracy.