Mac the ripper

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dukebound85, Jul 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i was wondering if someone could help me out. I want to use mac the ripper to backup some dvds (that I own) on my computer. However, I do not have the disk space for 4.7 gigs a movie. So my question is is there any way to copy the movie itself without so much disk space getting eatin up. Thanks

2. Sirus The Virus macrumors 6502a

Sirus The Virus

You could use an program called Handbrake. It compresses DVD's into video files like mpeg4. So you could watch your movies in Quicktime or any other media player.

3. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

Handbrake is your best bet, pretty easy to use, does a really good job. For almost full DVD quality encode at 1200-1400 kbps which makes an average movie about 800MB-1.1 GB, of course more or less depending on length of the movie.

4. neocell macrumors 65816

neocell

You can select to only backup the title track in MTR under the mode options. You'll only get the movie, no bonus features etc, but a lot of movies are greater than 4.7 GB just for the movie so it would probably be better use handbrake like Sirus The Virus said as it will make the movie files much smaller than 4.7 GB and pretty much the same quality.

5. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Handbrake is a great app - definitely gets my vote. Between MacTheRipper, Handbrake, DVD2OneX and Toast there isn't anything I can't do when it comes to DVD ripping/burning! :cool:

6. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

What Shard said. Those are the 4 programs I recommend. Used together, you can do anything with a source DVD.

I think DVD2oneX might be the one you seek over Handbrake, if you're looking to watch a movie in DVD player but cut the size down. It's an amazing piece of code. But if QT is you're goal, then use HB.

7. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

what in your opinion would be the best free app to do this? mactheripper or handbrake? I have heard handbrake is slow without a g5

8. cwright macrumors 6502a

I don't know... I've been encoding all of my movies at the default 1000 kbps, and it looks identical (sometimes even a little better...) to the DVD, even when stretched to 1920x1200. I guess that's using h.264 though, not the standard mpeg-4. I'm not sure what you're using when you encode at 1200-1400.

edit: typo

9. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Well, again, it depends what you want to do - rip the whole thing, leave parts out, rip it to an MP4/AVI file, etc. As for your specific question on HandBrake though, I use it on my 1.25 GHz G4 iMac and have not found it to be slow per se. Perhaps I'm just patient and understanding though... ;) :cool:

10. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

1000 kbps doesn't look anything like full rez DVD, even with H.264. 4000 kbps is still lacking compared to source DVD. But the main downside of HB is the sound is crappy even at 320 kbps compared to the uncompressed AC3 source on the original DVD. DVD2oneX preserves the AC3 file (it's already small so there is no need to compress it). So the sound from DVD2oneX is the same as the source DVD. The other downside of HB is encoding in H.264 for a 2 hour movie is something like 2 days. Don't know for sure since I never waited that long. Then *hope* it doesn't crash at 99%, after waiting for 2 days for the thing to finish.

DVD2oneX will compress a 2 hour movie in about 20 minutes. Just don't get too aggressive on the amount of compression. Get rid of menus and extra soundtracks, subtitles, etc. and the result will look as good as the original with about 20% reduction in file size. I go for quality first, size second. If size is your primary concern, the HB route may be a better choice for you.

11. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

yea I am pretty much looking to back up my dvds so when I go back to school I can have some sort of entertainment at times. I am looking pretty much for just the movie, dont care about extras and menues and all that jazz. I could live with vcr tapes so its no biggie lol. So is this what handbrake is good at? Also how long does it take? I have an emac 1ghz 512mb

12. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

13. cwright macrumors 6502a

Well, crap... I've ripped about 30 of my movies into h.264 at 1000 kbps and I've always been happy with the quality, but now i'm not sure if I should try to re-rip them at a higher bitrate... :confused:
    Why do you say that 1000kbps h.264 doesn't look like the full DVD? When I play the DVD and the h.264 (1000kbps) on my Dell 2405FPW, they look exactly the same full screen. But anyway, I may give a test run at a higher bitrate and see if I can notice the difference.

As for audio, I had a conversation going over at this thread about keeping the 5.1 audio in the quicktime file. I haven't been able to figure it out just yet... but since these movies are for me to take to college where I won't have a 5.1 setup, it doesn't really matter. For now I've just been saving the ac3 file from the DVD seperately, and maybe someday I'll be able to add that file to the quicktime movie.

14. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

Naw, don't re-rip the movies. That's going to the point of an unhealthy obsession. In 1 or 2 years it will all be different anyway with high def.

HB is still a work in progress and I've been waiting for a version that will preserve the AC3 intact. The sound is really empty as it is right now, even at 320 kbps.

As to the 1000 kbps looking like DVD, well, if you can't see the difference I can't help you there. To me it is night and day, BYMMV.

15. cwright macrumors 6502a

This is true :D
    I'd be more likely to do it if it only took an hour or so per movie, but h.264 just takes soooo much time to encode, even on a G5.

I've also been ripping the audio at the standard 128kbps becuase i don't have my good speakers yet... but i'm worried that once i get them it will not sound good. I really need to figure out a way to convert my ac3 files into a quicktime compatible 5.1 format (AAC?)

I hope that if future versions of handbrake support ac3 > aac 5.1 encoding that it can do audio only from the hard drive, so I could replace the 128kbps audio i have now, but we'll see. I won't worry about it now.

Which reminds me... I need to find a decent set of speakers for my room before i move out.

16. matthewlee_123 macrumors newbie

Hi

I've got a DVD that i want to extract except i only want the bonus section. How can i do this and with what app? I've tried Mac the Ripper and it extracted the full disc and made it 6.5GB but i want it to be just the bonuses.

Also, is it possible to play the file that mac the ripper extracted with Apple DVD player? Im running 10.4.2

Thanks

17. DarkNetworks macrumors 68000

DarkNetworks

Can Handbrake encode into avi files to mpeg?
    I mean i wanna burn a vcd but i have the files in avi. so if i burn them directly, Toast will encode it for me, i wanna use an external program to encode it first, any programn will do the job? I'm not talking about dvds its vcds...

18. DarkNetworks macrumors 68000

DarkNetworks

any solution for this one? ^^
    seems to have no response... :(

19. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

Try Ffmpeg http://homepage.mac.com/major4/

20. BlackDan macrumors 6502

I don't see the point in ripping a movie to AVI first and then let toast or any other program turn it into an MPEG for VCD :confused:
    unless of course you only have the avi's and no DVD, in that case I do understand, but I cannot help you since I don't know any app that works fine. (there are some apps on windows, but none of them work 100%)

If you DO have the DVD, what you need is something that just rips the DVD to mpeg directly. It will be much quicker than what you do now and with better quality. I don't know of a program that does this on OSX though. On windows ( :eek: ) you could try DVDx... I know, windows, but DVDx gets the job done alright (to be honest it beats Handbrake in features not by a mile, but by a parsec, while being still fairly easy to use)

IIRC Handbrake only rips to avi, so that's no option...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.