Mac To Hi-Fi

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by theposse, Sep 1, 2004.

1. theposse macrumors regular

I have recently connected my iMac G4 to my Hi-Fi and am not really happy with the results.I am using an ordinary jack plug from the headphone socket (does this make a difference rather than using the speaker socket if so i'll have to buy a new Jack plug thats smaller)to the C.D input on my Hi-Fi but the amplification is all wrong and it sounds fine on normal level but when i turn it up it sounds pretty crap.
    any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    thanks scott

2. vollspacken macrumors 65816

vollspacken

you need an adapter:

mini headphone ---> 2x RCA

plug the mini headphone into the speaker-out on the iMac, the RCAs into the AUX-input of your stereo... should work fine

...or better, get an Airport card and Airport Express and use wireless audio transmission with Airtunes...

vSpacken

3. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

Yeah watch which input you plug into. Some of them have different signal requirements and can cause all kinds of distortion since the Mac speaker/headphone isn't (I believe) a line out port.

4. Hoef macrumors 6502a

Hoef

5. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    what you want is to process the sound outside the mac to reduce interference, an external soundcard, xitel as the other users have posted is good. either firewire or usb devices should do the trick

6. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

I have a Griffin iMic and it works fine for headphones - only $35 :)

I have a 12'' PowerBook, I use my old Clamshell Lime iBook's AV out cable to connect sound to a TV. It works pretty well. But when I use the cable on an iPod it sounds fuzzy. Your better off with an adapter that's made for it.

Or and AirPort Extreme - which works wonderful for me.

7. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

problem is that headphone levels are different than line levels, and if you want to connect like that you have to set system volume levels very low to meet the line level...

8. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

Yeah that bugs me too

*grumble*
    :rolleyes:

9. theposse thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the replies.Do I need to but an airport base station aswell to use with this airport express.
    cheers scott

10. vollspacken macrumors 65816

vollspacken

no, the express is a wireless router/base station too and should be enough for the home user. you should be fine with airport express

vSpacken

11. DJY macrumors 6502a

DJY

headphone jacks vs line out jacks as mentioned above are vastly different.

even for example with my iPod.
    When I plugged my iPod into my stereo via the headphone jack - I too was very disappointed... but then sitting my iPod in its dock - and using the line out jack - WOW! huge difference!!!

Oh yeah I don't need to worry anymore about plugging my iPod in to my own stereo - thats what my Airport Express is for!
    Much better quality, no wires, and now my whole CD collection is permanently available. no more CDs are home!