Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

beez7777

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 5, 2002
Notre Dame
ok, so my cousin wants to connect his iMac to his home stereo. I could have sworn apple used to sell a cable that allowed you to do this through RCA cables, but I can't find it anywhere on their webstore. I know that m-audio makes one that uses an optical cable, and so does h/k, but those are expensive and he doesn't want to spend a lot of money to do this. i know a lot of people here connect their macs to their home stereos, so any cheap suggestions?

baby duck monge

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2003
Memphis, TN
i had mine hooked up with some cables i had that were meant to connect a discman to speakers. they plug into the side of the imac. i am now using them with my ibook.

vniow

macrumors G4
Jul 18, 2002
I accidentally my whole location.
You don't need a special cable from Apple, just go to Radio Shack and fine an adaprer with a headphone jack at one end and two RCA jacks at the other, that's all you need. (alhough optical connections are better)

alset

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2002
East Bay, CA
Originally posted by vniow
You don't need a special cable from Apple, just go to Radio Shack and fine an adaprer with a headphone jack at one end and two RCA jacks at the other, that's all you need. (alhough optical connections are better)

Or, you can just splice some cables. That's how I did it the first time. RFI is an issue if you don't perform a clean splice.

Dan

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.