Mac to Mac connection?

Discussion in 'Games' started by neoelectronaut, Jan 9, 2004.

1. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

Would it be possible to play a network game between two Macs connected with an ethernet cable? How so?

2. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

Yes! Depends on the game. In most games that let you play via a lan, there will be a login screen of some kind. One machine (the faster) starts up the game and will be the server. The other machine starts up the game and let it find the server by typing in the IP of the server and voila you are ready! This also works with different machines and different platforms. Have played a lot of diablo 2 with multiple friends of mine who all have a pc. BTW, with most games you will need to have the exact same version!

3. neoelectronaut thread starter macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

Do I have to any special sort of setup in system preferences? (Is more of what I meant)

4. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

no! with most games that have such an setup you don't have to do anything else! Maybe turn of your firewall if you have any problems.

5. xelterran macrumors 6502

I believe you need to use a crossover ethernet cable if you are going to connect them directly to one another.

6. telecomm macrumors 65816

telecomm

Actually, you probably won't need a crossover ethernet cable. All of the more recent (say, late 2001 and beyond) Macs will autodetect the sort of cable being used, so you don't need to distinguish between cable types.

Oh, and I used to connect my (former) ibook to a G4 via ethernet, while I was running OS 9 and my roomate OS X, to play unreal tournament. It was pretty killer.

7. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

Didn't know that! You learn something everyday!! But if you are trying to directly connect to a Pc you will need a crossover ethernet cable. Or use a hub or a router, just the same way as you configure a LAN!

8. telecomm macrumors 65816

telecomm

In fact, if you have a computer that'll autodetect the cable type, it doesn't matter what's on the other end - other mac, router, etc. There's an Applecare doc about this, entitled "Macintosh: Apple Products That Require an Ethernet Crossover Cable".

Pretty cool feature.:cool:

9. neoelectronaut thread starter macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

Well, if anything, it'll be 2 1Ghz eMacs, so they'll be modern enough.

Edit: How about a PC and a Mac?

10. mattmack macrumors 6502a

mattmack

I believe with a pc to mac connection you would need a router or a crossover cable. i am not aware if the PC can detect cable type

11. thatwendigo macrumors 6502a

thatwendigo

The easy answer is to go drop $25-40 on an ethernet switch and cable the machines into it. That way, you're sure that they're going to have no problem with the kind of cable you're using. Of course, if you're like me, then you have everything hooked up to a broadband router anyways... :D

Switches should be crossplatform, too, since they tend not to use any kind of software on the machine to do what they do. I'd recommend that, if you're at all expecting to use the setup for any extended period of time.

12. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

PC'c can't auto detect. But since the mac can, the pc will read the cable in it's standard form and the mac will auto dectect and make the connection work.

13. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

Instead of using a cable and since you will be running it with 2 modern macs, you can also connect via airport, that is if you have an airport card in both machines!

14. thatwendigo macrumors 6502a

thatwendigo

Or, I don't know, you could spend $40 on a 10/100 switch and have a faster and more stable connection... Never rely on wireless, unless you're willing to face signal loss, noise, and other aspects that people seem not to consider.

That being said, I love my iBook and its Airport card. :D

15. mattmack macrumors 6502a

mattmack

Including security:)

16. nolem macrumors member

Go with an airport dude.
    If your comp has one anyways. It's even more painless to setup then an ethernet connection. just click "Create network..." in the airport menu. I love it.

17. mattmack macrumors 6502a

mattmack

Why would you use a wireless solution to play games?
    It just seems so limiting as far as bandwidth goes. I would offer wireless as a solution for networking for games only as a last resort.:)

18. nolem macrumors member

I've never had a ping over 150, which is fine. But I do suppose the more players the more ping there would be.

19. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

Games don't need that much broadband to function properly. So you can use wireless if you want! I have played for many years Diablo2 with a switch with four other computers connected. Even that runs smoothly! And almost every game out there uses, when connected to a network, the 10 Mbit connection. So no need to get faster.