mac-to-mac networking question - no other thread has given a good answer

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Heart Break Kid, Apr 20, 2003.

1. Heart Break Kid macrumors 6502a

Hey - i know there are several threads about this topic but i havent been able to find a straight answer from any. Heres the situation - i have a 17" Powerbook. Its on my home network using microsoft broadband and a dsl wireless router, so my when im at home my looks like 192.xxx.xx.xx - and my friend who has a mac at his house is on his own home network. is there anyway i can remotly log into his computer from mine while i am at home? its kinda tricky since my im on a network. i know when i want to access files on computers on my network, i just have to hit command-k and i can access it by typing smb://192.xxx.xx.xx . i cant access his computer by just typing in his ip there, so i was wondering how i would go about doing this. i dont want to setup an ftp or anything like that - is this possible?

2. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Well, assuming there are no firewalls to deal with, and his sharing is turned on... what happens if you type his IP address in? i believe that's the way it should work, if you're both using OS X (9 can be trickier a bit)... so this may be an issue of troubleshooting rather than finding another method...

pnw

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

No... You will not be able to use the private IP address for public connection.

You need to use the IP address given by the ISP provider.

You are hiding behind a NAT router, it enables you connect multiple computers -- but also obscures the computer from outside hacking and direct connections.

If you want to directly access the computers, you have to toss them into a DMZ and/or in front of NAT -- thus the computers will be using the IP address given by the ISP (if it's static, it's easy -- dynamically assigned IP addresses are another problem).

Or, you may be able to assign a port on your routers public IP address directly to your computer, but this does raise the risk of hacking.

It all depends on the router.

4. Heart Break Kid thread starter macrumors 6502a

damn damn damn

since i dont know how to set up a dmz i guess the only option left is an ftp or carracho

dang

thanks for your help

5. buffsldr macrumors 6502a

buffsldr

i like the suggestion to assign a port to an internal ip address. For example, if your dsl routers ip address (a real world ip address) is x, and your computer (an internal ip address is y) you can assign port z (where z is replaced with the port number of your choice) of ip x to be forwarded to address y. so when somebody types in x:z, it is forwarded to y. your router likely has a configuration software that can help you do this, check the literature that came with it

6. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

I have the same thing.

Type your routers IP number in INTERNET EXPLORER (seems to freeze up the internet if you use anything else). Mine is 192.168.1.1

So I type in IE 192.168.1.1

It will ask for a login/password, try no login name, password is admin

Then, there should be a spot in the settings somewhere for port forwarding. In my router, there is an advanced tab, and then its under there.

You then specify the LOCAL IP address you want to use, and then give it a port. Try somewhere between 6400-6500

Then, when you want to connect to your buddies computer or whatever, you do this (assuming you chose somewhere between 6400-6500)

Get his public IP (dslreports.com in the tool area, there is a "My IP" thing). Then, in the command-k (connect) thing in mac os x, type his IP followed by :6450

So, it would be like 66.52.92.184:6459

7. Heart Break Kid thread starter macrumors 6502a

ok that actually helps

heres what i see - i go to port forwarding and i have 2 options- application based and persistant.

i selected persistant port forwarding. under persistant there are several collums listed. the fist is description, inbound port, type (udp/tcp), private ip address and private port

under the description it has stuff like MSNMSGR (192.168.x.xx:1233) 12343 UDP

i have no idea what this stuff means

there are a bunch of blank rows that i can add stuff too - here is the description given by the tab

Persistent Port Forwarding Help

You can configure your base station to persistently forward certain requests, much as virtual servers do. The base station automatically redirects remote users accessing certain services (for example, Web or FTP servers) at your local site using public IP addresses to local servers configured with private IP addresses.

now where do i add the new port and ip address?

8. Heart Break Kid thread starter macrumors 6502a

again - i appreicate your help - but im somewhat lost still

9. alexlai5050 macrumors member

10. Heart Break Kid thread starter macrumors 6502a

11. Heart Break Kid thread starter macrumors 6502a

i just called the microsoft broadband network helpline and they said their is no way for a computer from the real world to connect to mine even if i forward a port - damn microsoft :|

he was like - its just not possible

12. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Simply not true.

I've been able to port forward to my PowerBook on airport coming in on my cable connection. It's just a matter of the settings in the switch to send traffic on a particular port to a particular IP.

Much as your documentation states above, you would type the IP address of your PowerBook (192.168.xx.xx) in the IP line and the port number for the service you wish to enable in the second.

Common ports are the following:
    20 and 21 - FTP
    22 - SSH (secure shell)
    80 - Web
    548 - Apple file

So if you want people to access your PowerBook via AppleTalk you would put
    192.168.xx.xx:548 and then requests at your public IP for traffic on 548 would be forwarded to your PowerBook.

Believe me, I've done it and it's doable.

13. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

If you can directly connect a machine to the modem (or via switch/hub) and it has public access, then you should be looking at the documentation of the router -- not asking your ISP.

By the way -- what type of router are you using?

14. Heart Break Kid thread starter macrumors 6502a

im using a microsoft wireless braodband router

15. keithcobbett macrumors member

Here's a question...

Can you ping the computer you are trying to access? Use Terminal and type in "ping xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" where all the x's are the ip address of the other computer. If you can ping the computer, you will be able to network with it. The other computer may not be able to connect to your's, but you can connect to his/hers.

16. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Re: Microsoft say it's impossible...

Hmmm... you can host a server -- but not a computer. :p

17. Heart Break Kid thread starter macrumors 6502a

thank u sunbaked

damn microcrap people never know what they are talking about

18. Heart Break Kid thread starter macrumors 6502a

hey
    i was just wondering if i dont have the documentation is there anyway to find the private port of my server computer?

19. Heart Break Kid thread starter macrumors 6502a

and when i want to connect to the network from the outside

i type in the global ip followed by the inbound port? ie. 24.xx.xx.xx : 243

since i used 243 as the inbound port?

20. Heart Break Kid thread starter macrumors 6502a

just got off the phone with microsoft again. they said it is possible and i had to use remote desktop to get access. i ddint want to use it, i wanted to use the cmd k option, but whatever.

apparently the private port changes based on the application you use. so if you use IE to try to connect to your computer, the server has a different private port. the one im using is 3389. its the same as the inbound port according to the tech guy.

ahh well - heres to hopin it works

21. Illmatic macrumors member

Ok I have tried to follow the instructions that all of you have given me but I still can't seem to figure out how to let someone connect to my shared iTunes. I am using a Linksys router and have attached a screen shot of my advanced setup screen...can someone please tell me what to put where and how all this works...I am so lost. Thanks so much everyone

Attached Files:

22. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

i tried this sort of thing as well, but didn't get it working.

you could always check out Apple's KnowledgeBase. search there to see if you can find answers for your questions.

23. Illmatic macrumors member

I have tried following what those that have posted said but with no luck. I called my cable internet provider and they told me to call Linksys. Linksys was absolutly no help at all so I called Apple and they couldn't give me any information either. There has got to be someone around here that can give me some advice as to how I can share my music, so for those of you that know please email me at jayare420@zoominternet.net or just post it here. Thanks again