Mac to Pc Compatability

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by JzzTrump22, Jan 29, 2005.

1. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

I really need to get a dvd burner and don't want to spend tons of money on an external for my mac. I was thinking i would buy an internal dvd burner for my pc instead. I'll compress all my movies that i ripped to my computer (by using Mac the Ripper and Roxio Popcorn), send them over my network to my pc, then burn them to dvd. Is this possible?

2. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

I think it would work, but seems like a lot of hassle. You're not going to spend all that much more on external burner than you would for an internal burner, and if you get an external, you'll be able to use it on your PC and on your Mac.

3. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

Send what over the network? You could copy the VIDEO_TS folder output by MTR over to the PC and use Nero or something to recode and burn it. I don't think Popcorn has an option to recode and image the folder to a disk image (at least I couldn't find it). So, I don't see how you could use Popcorn in your scenario.

4. JzzTrump22 thread starter macrumors 65816

True, but what brand external burners are compatible for a not so expensive price. I know Lacie makes good stuff, what else is available that works with mac?

5. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

I meant to add that, even with a full duplex 100 Mbps LAN, it still takes a while to move 4.5 - 7.5 GB of data, especially if you're using SMB mounts. If you do decide to copy from Mac to PC, I'd suggest using FTP for speed.

6. JzzTrump22 thread starter macrumors 65816

I know it takes a while, that doesn't bother me.

7. JzzTrump22 thread starter macrumors 65816

So i don't need to use popcorn to compress the videos? I was told i would need to compress the videos.

8. expergo macrumors regular

i use a benq dw1620 and stuck it in a vantec enclosure it and works fine with my mac and pc. vantec case looks slick too.. :) has usb2 and fw.

burner cost me $80ca and case cost me $60ca. coudl have gotten a cheaper case but i wanted somethign nice. :)

popcorn compresses unencrypted dvd's, so i think if you decrypt the dvd with macripper, you can compress it with popcorn. i think it can also make an image...like toast.

9. JzzTrump22 thread starter macrumors 65816

Will the Rosewill cases work with it?
    Is this burner similar or the same? http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=27-101-635&depa=1

10. expergo macrumors regular

11. JzzTrump22 thread starter macrumors 65816

And it's dual layred? Meaning it actually holds 8 gigs?

12. expergo macrumors regular

yep, though i haven't burned any in dl mode.

don't really havea use for it yet...and media is more expesnive. heh..

13. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

I guess you didn't read my post, above. I have Popcorn and there are no options to build a disk image, at least not that I could find. You have to compress and burn, which does no good if the drive is on the PC.

Yes you have to compress and burn the output of MTR, but you'll have to do that step on the PC, if you're going to burn it on the PC. As I said, above, Nero would be the software of choice to do this step on the PC. Of course, at that point, why not just rip it on the PC, too? DvdDecryptor will rip the DVD on Windows.

14. JzzTrump22 thread starter macrumors 65816

If i get a burner thats comapatable with mac. The i won't have to worry about any pc problems. I'll be able to rip dvd's with MTR, compress them with Popcorn, then burn right from my mac. Correct? Oh and what size external enclosure would i need for the drive?

15. expergo macrumors regular

sorry, iwas just skimming.

i just opened popcorn and there's an option to save it as a disk image. is that not pc-compatible? but i guess it's liek a .dmg right? and you cant open that on a pc.

if not, then, yah just rip and burn on your pc. i used my p4 2.8 with 512ram to backup dvds and its' quite a bit faster than using my g4 1.2 with 768 ram. ;p

16. expergo macrumors regular

yes.

17. JzzTrump22 thread starter macrumors 65816

18. JzzTrump22 thread starter macrumors 65816

Ok thanks for all the help. I'll probably order this stuff tonight from Newegg. Thanks a lot!

19. expergo macrumors regular

no problem! enjoy. dvd burning is addictive. hehe

20. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

It builds a .toast image. I guess if you have Roxio Windows burner software, you could do it, but I don't know for sure. I thinks it's clear, at this point, that it's way simpler to just pay the price for an external enclosure.

21. stevep macrumors 6502a

stevep

delete delete delete - talking rubbish, its late, not thinking, not reading all the posts properly, and its already been answered.

22. JzzTrump22 thread starter macrumors 65816

Untill i saw how much they are going to charge me for shipping AND tax. Thats rediculous that they charge you for both.

23. JzzTrump22 thread starter macrumors 65816

Whoops, didn't read the small print.