Mac to PC Drive sharing

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Hls811, Feb 11, 2007.

1. Hls811 macrumors 6502a

Hls811

I'm not sure if this product exists, but maybe someone here knows or can recommend something.

What I'm looking for is some sort of external drive which allows me to connect 2 different computers (one Mac and one PC).

Currently, if i want to take files from my desktop to my Mac I use a thumb drive - but was hoping there was something more static that I can keep plugged into my desktop at all times (like an external drive) and then just plug into the Mac as needed. (the thumb drive I had doesn't have alot of space, and I was hoping for something larger).

Are there any external drives that allow you to connect 2 computer's simultaneously?

2. WorldIRC macrumors 6502

Firewire drives usually have two ports on them...format it as FAT32 and both computers can read / write to it.

3. erikamsterdam macrumors regular

erikamsterdam

I don't think it will work with 2 ports though, cos you can only have 1 controller on the bus.
    Why don't you just network the Mac and PC together and share the drive over the network? Or buy the new Airport and plug a drive into that :D

4. Aperture macrumors 68000

Aperture

Rather than buying an Airport or complex HD (which I dont even think exist), do this...

Plug it into your Mac (the external HD, or even thumb drive) and make an alias to the drive on your desktop. (Right click > Make Alias)

Download SharePoints and share the alias to your PC.

(If you do it right, you could even make a shortcut to the shared alias on your PC's desktop)

Now when you add files to that shortcut on the PC, they're sent over the network to the alias on your Mac's deskstop which sends it to the drive itself. You could of course just add files to the drive as normal from the Mac.

---

Or, just make a folder on the Mac and share it. (Assuming you have enough HD space)

5. phuong macrumors 6502a

a NAS is exactly what you are looking for: more spaces at reasonable prices (and easily expandable) and can be accessed at any time, by any computer, running any OS, in the LAN.
    and you don't have to keep moving it around like with other external drives.

6. drake macrumors 6502a

drake

[​IMG]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nas

So, he'll help?

:p

7. mike dunx macrumors regular

8. biturbomunkie macrumors 6502a

i setup a network between my mac and peecee. whenever i need to access files on the peecee, i just connect the two w/ a rj-45 cable. the peecee can also access files on the mac as well.

setting up a network:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=54704

9. Hls811 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hls811

Ahh. nice - I'll take a look into this - I think it may be what I'm looking for..

I actually do have a NAS (doesn't look anything like the one above though) :) but it's a pain in the butt because of setting permissions, and treating it like an FTP drive, etc... It could just be the one I have is screwy...

10. phuong macrumors 6502a

what i dont like about Mac's windows sharing is that it only allows you to access the Shared folder. they say it's a security feature but to me it makes it useless because i probably have more things to share than just what's put in the Shared folder.

11. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

Are you sure you can share an alias?

I tried doing it and all I see is a no extension file from the Windows computer.

12. Nuks macrumors 6502a

If I have a external HD formatted for windows, am I able to reformat to FAT32 and keep all of the files currently on it?