Mac to PC internet play

Discussion in 'Games' started by SpaceCowboy850, Nov 7, 2005.

1. SpaceCowboy850 macrumors newbie

What are some games that can be played on a Mac over the internet versus PC opponents?

I know of Warcraft III, World of Warcraft, and Battlefield 1942. What are others?

SpaceCowboy

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Enemy Territory. :)

People hate getting beaten by a mad jew and then finding out the weapon of choice is a "panZ-boi Mac". :p

3. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

If there's both a PC and a Mac version, then it'll work. Game devs are more intelligent than you appear to be

EDIT: My bad. Less offensive post, or whatever :rolleyes:

4. SpaceCowboy850 thread starter macrumors newbie

I've looked at several games that only play Mac-to-Mac. Rainbow Six 3 only supports Mac-Mac, as does Command and Conquer Generals. When developers talk about Mac-to-PC as a "feature" that tells me that this is not standard operating procedure.

Converting from PC to Mac is not trivial, which is why many game developers drop it when they are doing the port, which is why I asked the question in the first place.

BTW, if I'm a game developer, but game developers are smarter than me, then am I smarter than myself?

SpaceCowboy

5. Whyren macrumors 6502a

Whyren

As far as I know, UT2004 and Halo 1 (as long as you're updated) work. Personally, I still play Halo Mac-Mac...much smaller community. That and updated versions don't work on my computer for some reason.

Hmm...haven't actually played Halo for a while...*looks for good servers*

6. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Highly unusual. I have never seen that before in my large list of games. In which case, they're just dumb devs. Also, while porting game is not overly trivial, there is no need to convert co-ords. It's like having to specifically code websites for viewing on PPC instead of x86 - you don't

7. SpaceCowboy850 thread starter macrumors newbie

Right, but from what I was reading, there are two big issues that bite developers:

1) Converting from Mac to PC required the endianness to change. Basically the bytes are read in the reverse order.

2) The PowerPC and the pentium processor handle floating point a tiny bit differently. I think the two can be off by 0000000001 or something like that. That was from this interview with Aspyr concerning C&C: Generals.

http://www.planetcnc.com/features/interviews/glendaadams/

SpaceCowboy

8. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

But the thing is, you don't have to do that for webpages. You don't have to do that for FTP transfers. You don't have to do that for music streaming. I think you've misunderstood your own question. You were asking about network play, yet you've tried to answer that question by using the actual coding itself.

9. SpaceCowboy850 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ahh, well, with people like you, it's no wonder the mac retains such a small hold on the marketplace. Thanks for nothing.

SpaceCowboy

10. Mudbug Administrator emeritus

Mudbug

sorry about that. "greatdevourer" has been given a little time out for not playing well with others. Please don't let his lack of taste reflect poorly on your experience here.

11. SpaceCowboy850 thread starter macrumors newbie

Cool, thanks for handling it. Everyone else here has been great.

So far the list that plays nicely between PC and Mac sounds like it is:
    Halo
    BF1942
    Unreal Tournament 2K4
    Warcraft III
    World of Warcraft
    Enemy Territory (Is that Wolfenstein?)

Any word on Age of Mythology? Does that work?

SpaceCowboy

12. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Sort of, they're very similar but it's not Return To Castle Wolfenstein per se. It's purely an online game, and a very fun one at that. :)

13. iPoster macrumors regular

14. mattmack macrumors 6502a

mattmack

Sorry the Age of Empire series does not support mac to pc multiplay. This is one of my biggest dissappointments. I believe it is because the actual network play is based in DirectPlay as opposed to purely TCP/IP. There is no mac equivalent of the Direct package so any game that is based in that is hard to port and cannot network :(

15. mattmack macrumors 6502a

mattmack

Also the mods for games like BF 1942 and UT work on a mac to PC basis which adds to the enjoyment of the games

16. angelneo macrumors 68000

I think these applies to porting games over to different platforms. In the case of multi-playing or networking the players, the developers can choose to synchronize players using standard protocols such as xml sockets, or transferring information using basic ascii text. (although using standards might allow players to hack much more easily but that really depends)

17. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Almost every game can play Mac-to-PC. Its easier to state a list of games that have only Mac-to-Mac play.

18. SpaceCowboy850 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm looking for a XMas present for a friend. He only plays games with his friends (does really do the solo thing), but all of our friends are on PC, he is on Mac. He really likes RTSs, and outside of Warcraft, the other RTSs I've looked at don't work.

He is not opposed to FPSs either, which is why I didn't narrow the scope.

Thanks for your help everyone, I'll keep looking.

SpaceCowboy

19. mattmack macrumors 6502a

mattmack

Diablo II also works mac to pc