?MAC to PC Via Crossover Cable?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bthomas, Mar 3, 2007.

1. bthomas macrumors newbie

I just got a MAC G4 but I do not have a Airport to make it wireless. Is there a way to connect the G4 to my PC (which is running 2000 Prof and is using aLinksys wireless card) via crossover cable to give my MAC internet access?? Pleas Help

2. ebouwman macrumors 6502a

you could an internet router pretty cheaply

:edit:sorry misread that,

i dont' know about win 2000 but in XP you can connect the 2 computers using ethernet or whatever then go to network connections and tell it to BRIDGE CONNECTION

3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

But I think the OP's point is that they do not have wired connection to an Internet point.

OP - please clarify your setup.
    Do you have a cable/dsl hookup of your own
    Is the PC cabled to the modem now, or is is only connected by wireless?

4. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

You shouldn't even need a crossover cable. Most Macs automatically configure themselves to whatever cable you're using.

On the PC, right click on the internet connection in 'Network Connections', and tick the box which says 'Share this internet connection', or words to that effect...

5. ebouwman macrumors 6502a

thas why i changed my post

it sounds like the OP has his PC connected to the internet wirelessly and is trying to share that with the mac which doesnt have wireless

6. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I don't think that's possible and if it is it is difficult. Can't you get a wireless router?

7. bthomas thread starter macrumors newbie

The PC is wireless connecting to a 2Wire Wireless Gateway using SBC DSL

8. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Can't you run an ethernet cable from the wireless gateway to your Mac?

9. bthomas thread starter macrumors newbie

No. My wireless gateway is downstairs and my PC and MAC are upstairs

10. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

If it was the other way round (Mac connected to Internet using wireless, want to let PC connect), you would go to System Preferences, Sharing, Internet, and you can share your Airport Internet connection either through Ethernet or through Firewire; no problem and very easy.

11. bthomas thread starter macrumors newbie

I was trying to avoid buying the Airport but I guess that is what I'm left with

12. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

For the record, it's Mac, not MAC.

MAC is an acronym for Media Access Control (a computer networking term). :)

13. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

You can buy cheaper routers made by other people and they'll work just fine, (though given the problems we have with ours (and everyone else I know has with their internet *cough* router (or maybe that's just Windows ;) )) I'm gonna stick with quality brands like Draytek in the future)

As a serious question are Apple's routers more reliable than Netgear/Dlink/Linksys, my Netgear seems to crash fairly regularly...

14. ebouwman macrumors 6502a

did you try bridging the connections in windows?

i think you select the 2 networks and then right click and select bridge connections

15. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

You can't with wireless only wired :rolleyes:.

16. ebouwman macrumors 6502a

* i never knew that* i only knew that the feature was there, i assumed it would work either way

17. bthomas thread starter macrumors newbie

Well the thinking is OVER Enabled internet sharing for my wireless card. Gave my wired ethernet port a specific address and gave my G4 the same address and just like that Safari loaded the Apple homepage with no problem. Speed on either machine seems to be affected. Thanks all for your input.:apple:

18. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Here is a pretty good article for setting up internet connection sharing (ICS) in Windows 2000.
    http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/ics_2000#3

After setting up ICS on your PC connect the Mac via eternet cable. If the PC is configured properly the Mac should connect automatically. If you are running a 3rd party firewall on your PC make sure it is set up to allow ICS.

Hopefully this works for you I know I my Windows box I sometimes enable ICS in Windows XP and I end up having to manually configure IP addresses to get it to work.

Edit:

You can also use many different PCI wireless cards in the Mac by using this driver from Orangeware.
    http://www.orangeware.com/endusers/wirelessformac.html
    Just get the make and model of card that exists in their list.

Since Airport cards are ridiculously expensive especially if that G4 is pre Airport Extreme.