Mac to PC Video Chat...Seeking Advice

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by aswitcher, Oct 15, 2004.

1. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

Ok, I have some friends who have justed move to the UK for a year. I couldn't convince them to pony up the extra for an iBook so they have a new low end Dell with XP.

So, I want to help them set up video chat with their Australian relos (windows users) and hopefully figure out a video solution for me on my mac.

Help?

Whats the best XP to XP solution?

Is there a OSX to XP solution?

2. Sly macrumors 6502

Sly

I regularly video conference with friends & colleges who own PC's - ichatAV to AIM 5.5 with no problems at all, set up is a breeze. If you have issues with connection, it tends to be the PC users firewall muscling in. AIM 5.5 will also work PC - PC however, I would probably go with MSN messenger PC - PC?

3. aswitcher thread starter macrumors 603

aswitcher

Ok, thanks. Any advice on a good PC camera? They have Kodak digital but I dont know if that can be used for video chats...is there a good place to sus that out? I suspect they will need to get a USB camera...

Mmm. I hear rumors of an iSight mark 2 so I dont know if I will race out and get a camera myself...

4. Sly macrumors 6502

Sly

I use an isight with the iglasses program to sort out the low light issues, which works really well. A digital video camera doubles for a good high quality web cam on both PC & Mac. Most PC web cams I have come accross don't even begin to compare to the quality of isight or a DV camera.

5. aswitcher thread starter macrumors 603

aswitcher

Well I have Canon DV camera which I think should work fine...

Not sure about their Kodak 4mp digital still camera...

iglassess..ok I'll check that out

6. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

Just make sure you have that Canon DV camera hooked up - at least one of you needs to have a camera for Mac -> Windows iChat/AIM to work - there is no audio only at present.

7. Gee macrumors 65816

Note that you'll both need broadband connections to be able to use iChat to AIM video chat. If you've got dialup, as far as I'm aware, it won't work. Your options are then more limited - iChat will do audio only over dialup, and Yahoo IM (Mac and PC versions) will do video only (no audio).

Cheers
    G

8. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

If you want to do audio only cross-platform, you can get Windows, Mac and Linux versions of Skype (www.skype.com) which is very easy to set up and is effectively its own IM service.

9. aswitcher thread starter macrumors 603

aswitcher

Yeah Skype works a treat but now I want to venture into video.

10. jdebeer macrumors newbie

What if I can't use iChat b/c I have a USB webcam? Is Mac AIM to PC AIM better than Mac MSN to PC MSN? Any opinions out there? (sorry for the double-post).

11. Gee macrumors 65816

Never looked at Mac AIM, but Mac MSN doesn't do video. Yahoo for Mac and PC does video, but not audio with it.

12. DJY macrumors 6502a

DJY

I mucked around with Yahoo one night with a PC based mate... and yuck!
    Video - not audio - as previously mentioned - and it looked and felt terrible. Then realised how spoilt I am with iChat - and how much PC users don't realise they are missing!!!
    I haven't tried the iChat - AIM combo yet... as I don't know too many people with AIM. Do know one - and she chats (text only) in iChat - she doesn't have a camera though.

How does the iChat - AIM combo compare witih Yahoo IM? Has to be better I'd hope.

13. radiocore macrumors newbie

radiocore

I've used iVisit too and it works. I use that now when I sometimes can't connect using ichat to AIM

14. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    ichat av is good

although some brit unis are really tight with their firewalls and block ports that are needed

15. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

the pc user in the scenario "pc - iChatAV" has to have a firewire webcam.

16. aswitcher thread starter macrumors 603

aswitcher

Oh, ok. Most are USB...I wonder if there is a PC one that does both...? Probably not.

17. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

There's a shareware program that allows you to use any Mac-compatible webcam with iChat AV - it's called iChatUSB or something like that - check versiontracker.com.

18. Sly macrumors 6502

Sly

The PC user can use either USB or Firewire webcams with AIM 5.5. The quality is pretty poor with most PC USB webcams.

19. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

is this a fact? not seeming to be rude, but, can you proove it?

20. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

AIM will work with any camera that your computer has drivers for (Windows software is always provided on the included software CDs).

USB webcams are generally USB 1.1 and are poor quality due to low bandwidth. Only Apple appears to have set high standards with the video conferencing - but this comes at a price: 1) Firewire webcam needed (any DV will do) and 2) broadband internet connection (at least 256k I think).

21. Sly macrumors 6502

Sly

22. kabokuti macrumors newbie

VideoConferencing between Mac -iChat- and PC -AIM.

Hi, I'm currently having problems with my brother who is usung a PC, with Windows XP, AIM latest version. Although the icon of the camera appears, we are never able to connect usung the camera. He doesn't have a firewall. With him a have problems, but with friends using macs, we can do videoconferencing very easily. Anyone knows what can be happening with my brother?

23. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

I get the same problem with my PowerBook and our Dell. But my brother's ordering a new iBook today so I'll be able to do Mac to Mac for the first time when that arrives.

24. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

i think the word "pc" was somewhere in your message... that must be the problem :D