Mac to PC videoconf with USB cam

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by jdebeer, Oct 16, 2004.

1. jdebeer macrumors newbie

Sep 11, 2004
    First, I know I suck for not having an iSight. But while saving up $ (or waiting for an update, not sure which yet), I am using a logitech USB webcam that was lying around the house. iChat apparently works only with Firewire. True?

My real question then, is what is the best software to conference between my PowerBook & my familys' PCs, given that I cannot use iChat with this webcam.

(PS. I was going to add to "aswitcher"s thread, but that question is a bit different.)
  2. Jalexster macrumors 6502a

Jun 8, 2004
  3. iBert macrumors regular

Jul 14, 2004
    jdebeer. Do you by any chance own a mindv camcorder or a digital 8 camcorder? anyways if you have a camcorder with firewire you can use that with ichat. Thats what I use.
  4. jdebeer thread starter macrumors newbie

Sep 11, 2004
    thanks for the links. I downloaded the iChatUSB program ... problem is it is a demo, which costs 10 bucks to keep. No big deal, but I also need a Mac driver for my logitec cam. That's a demo version that costs 20 bucks to keep. I don't want to whine about paying for these programs, but I might as well just spend a bit extra to get the iSight I really want anyways!

Can anyone recommend some (totally) free solutions for me?