Mac to Windows FTP and some adivce please

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by drewdon, Aug 25, 2002.

1. drewdon macrumors newbie

Jul 24, 2002
    I'm not sure where to post this so here it is..

I have a relative who's going to graduate school via a distance learning program at a college in WA. She just got done with her first week where they are required to attend classes on the campus. They where doing stuff in Unix and learning about Telnet, FTP, HTML, ect. Anyway, the "professors" pretty much are requiring a Windows machine for the distance learning.

From what I understand they are going to be working on files and sending them via FTP to a Unix server? (I'm not quite sure where the Unix part comes in but she has a Windows program that is supposed to allow her access to a Unix command line.) When she brought up OS X to one of the professors it was just dismissed.

My question is can she use a Mac to transfer files by FTP (using Fetch or a similar program) to a Windows machine or a Unix (I think yes due to the OS underpinnings) machine? I have recommended that she by an eMac, load up the ram, buy Virtual PC 5 and should be good to go.

The other option is that she purchase a Windows machine and just "be done with it.' What do you think? Which is going to be the easiest way to go. Since I'm not sure what all will be required software wise I'm having diffuculty giving her advice.

Confused in Colorado
  2. arn macrumors god

Staff Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Re: Mac to Windows FTP and some adivce please

The easiest way to go is probably just getting the Windows machine.

That being said, if FTP and Telnet is the only thing she needs to do, Mac OS X (and any os that's less than 10 years old) can do that.

However, like you said, I don't know if there are windows specific apps they want or need. Also, if she runs into problems, she's going to have an easier time if she has the requirements

If she has other reasons to get a Mac or had a Mac, I'm sure she could work it out. If her sole reason for getting a computer is for this class - sounds like it'd be the path of least resistance to get a PC.