Mac to windows MP3 transfer problems

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by mrjamin, Feb 6, 2003.

1. mrjamin macrumors 65816

mrjamin

HELP!

I recently had to reformat my pc (grrr - seems to be a regular occurance). I imported my MP3's over a network into iTunes, but now i can't get them back accross! XP tells me that it "cannot read from the source file or disk", and OSX tells me a similar error. I managed to copy accross some MP3 folders, but not others - same error. Any ideas?

2. MacCoaster macrumors 6502a

MacCoaster

Washington, DC / Rochester, NY / Lexington, NC
    Re: Mac to windows MP3 transfer problems

How exactly are you transferring those files.

SAMBA? FTP? HTTP?

Details, please.

3. mrjamin thread starter macrumors 65816

mrjamin

tried SAMBA and FTP. I think it might be something to do with particular ASCII characters in the filenames/paths. I guess HTTP might be an idea - i'll have a play with the httpd.conf file.

4. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

5. mrjamin thread starter macrumors 65816

mrjamin

got one! Tried over a network (i.e. through the hub) and a crossover cable direct to my pc.

6. daytona63 macrumors member

Try this

Well, I'm not entirely certain what's causing your problem, but you could simply zip all your mp3s into one file using Stuffit and then transfer that (if of course you aren't having trouble transferring files besides mp3s).

7. mrjamin thread starter macrumors 65816

mrjamin

good plan - thanks. Time to invest in Stuffit then i guess! Only got stuffit expander :S

8. altair macrumors regular

Re: Mac to windows MP3 transfer problems

One thing that i ran into was that if you have a symbol, ie a / or some other random symbol, windows hates it. I would check a bunch of the file names and see if they are wacked out, however, i agree with zipping them all. Or make a disk image, and then copy it.

hope this helped

~altair

9. Choppaface macrumors 65816

there are some characters that windows does not allow in file names that mac does allow. though you can't put a forward slash in a filename on a mac...

10. mrjamin thread starter macrumors 65816

mrjamin

i reckon that's it - time to root thru my mp3's and rename a few i guess!

11. Nipsy macrumors 65816

Nipsy

MP3 Rage 5.5 (versiontracker.com) should help you solve all your problems very quickly.

12. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

I'm actually having the same problem, but its not just with .mp3's it is also with my entire home folder. (And Win 2K)
    ---
    I'm backing up all my critical data from my TiBook before I send it it to have some wear repaired. Then regardless of whether or not they wipe it, I'm going to wipe it and reinstall both OSX and OS9 (Maybe I'll have a FW HD or iPod, and I can run 9 from there).
    ---
    I did have some success in copying some of the files individually. I'll try throwing them all into either DropStuff or Disk Copy. (It should work, I used WinZip to store some PC files on my Mac while I repaired a client's PC)

Maybe this will give me a chance to Audit my home folder and throw away all the junk + wiping will erase all of my old preferences (Something I've been meaning to do for some time) Also, I never did a clean install of Jaguar in the first place.

TEG