Mac to XP file transfer SIZE LIMIT???

Discussion in 'macOS' started by whyrichard, Sep 4, 2005.

1. whyrichard macrumors 68000

i am sucessfully networking my ibook to my winxp box through an ethernet cord.

trying to transfer my itunes folder, but it keeps on givingme "error copying file or folder" messages. as if there is a file transfer size limit. at first it let me do a third of my library (about 7 gigs of a 26 gig library), but now it barely lets me do a gig without an error message...

anyone else encounter this problem?

thanks,
    r

p.s. i know this is a mac forum, but i can't get onto any of the pc forums that people suggested. thanks!!!

2. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

I had a problem transferring a file larger than 6 gb, (error 1309 IIRC) and so you might see if it'll go for chunks under 6 gb.

3. whyrichard thread starter macrumors 68000

no, right now even quite small chunks smaller then a gig won't work

hmmph.

4. whyrichard thread starter macrumors 68000

interesting,

it seems like dragging from the networked folder window into the itunes window worked....

so itunes can handle files more reliably then xp?

i do love my mac.

r.

5. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

that's odd about the 1gb thing...ive transfered a 6gb file without issue :confused:

6. Xeem macrumors 6502a

Xeem

I have had the same problem; I just figured it was windows being crappy so I just stopped using iTunes on windows.

7. DJY macrumors 6502a

DJY

Use your iPod to move your iTunes library!

That's what I did. Just be careful to read the dialog box that appears each time you plug your iPod into each different machine to ensure if doesn't wipe your collection... as it will notice there is a 'new' iPod connected that isn't recognised by iTunes...and will ask if you want to make with iPod match this machine... say NO.

Oh yes you have to have set your iPod up to be able to use it as a hard drive as well... This is how I easily moved all my music (about 25GB) and then all my data from my PeeCee to my PB.

8. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I suspect that it's not filesizes that are causing problems, but characters. For example, I have a song called "Do You Believe?" - and the "?" is not a valid character on Windows. Also check for * and / and similar.

9. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

Yeah, that must be probably it.