Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

whyrichard

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 15, 2002
i am sucessfully networking my ibook to my winxp box through an ethernet cord.

trying to transfer my itunes folder, but it keeps on givingme "error copying file or folder" messages. as if there is a file transfer size limit. at first it let me do a third of my library (about 7 gigs of a 26 gig library), but now it barely lets me do a gig without an error message...

anyone else encounter this problem?

thanks,
r

p.s. i know this is a mac forum, but i can't get onto any of the pc forums that people suggested. thanks!!!

whyrichard

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 15, 2002
no, right now even quite small chunks smaller then a gig won't work

hmmph.

whyrichard

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 15, 2002
interesting,

it seems like dragging from the networked folder window into the itunes window worked....

so itunes can handle files more reliably then xp?

i do love my mac.

r.

Xeem

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2005
Minnesota
I have had the same problem; I just figured it was windows being crappy so I just stopped using iTunes on windows.

DJY

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2003
Canberra AUST
Use your iPod to move your iTunes library!

That's what I did. Just be careful to read the dialog box that appears each time you plug your iPod into each different machine to ensure if doesn't wipe your collection... as it will notice there is a 'new' iPod connected that isn't recognised by iTunes...and will ask if you want to make with iPod match this machine... say NO.

Oh yes you have to have set your iPod up to be able to use it as a hard drive as well... This is how I easily moved all my music (about 25GB) and then all my data from my PeeCee to my PB.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I suspect that it's not filesizes that are causing problems, but characters. For example, I have a song called "Do You Believe?" - and the "?" is not a valid character on Windows. Also check for * and / and similar.

Soulstorm

macrumors 68000
Feb 1, 2005
Nermal said:
I suspect that it's not filesizes that are causing problems, but characters. For example, I have a song called "Do You Believe?" - and the "?" is not a valid character on Windows. Also check for * and / and similar.
Yeah, that must be probably it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.