Mac translation software for English<->French?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by rob.rees@mac.co, Oct 2, 2005.

1. rob.rees@mac.co macrumors newbie

Is there a Mac application to translate French to/from English? The translation utility is useful, but I want something which can do Word documents, PDFs, etc. Google Language is OK, but has its limitations.

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Translating between languages is a tricky thing. There is no software that can do this accurately, you'll need to proofread the output. That's OK if you're going from French to English, but I'm assuming you can't read French and would therefore not be able to proofread an English to French translation.

Having said that, you could check a translation to a certain extent by then translating it back to English again, and checking whether the meaning is the same.

As for software suggestions, I have no idea :(

3. rob.rees@mac.co thread starter macrumors newbie

That's what I do with Google Language, and it seems to work OK. I don't need precise or technically correct translation, just enough to get the sense of what is written.

4. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

AltaVista's Babelfish is usually a bit better than Google. Not tried any of them much, but the few times I've compared, Babelfish just seems to make a bit more sense. :)

5. HydroMan macrumors 6502

HydroMan

6. dreammenS macrumors newbie

7. ZacZaco macrumors newbie