Mac TV tuner cards

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by yippy, Sep 6, 2004.

1. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

I was wondering if anyone knows of any cheap Mac TV tuner cards that I can use with my PowerBook.

I am a college student with limited funds and no room for a TV in the dorm but I would like to be able to watch TV every once in a while in the dorm room. If it matters the signal comes from a standard cable coax connection.

Thanks

2. kyeblue macrumors member

Check eyeTV, an external(USB) box that makes your mac a TV/DVR.

3. Porsche macrumors newbie

I second this recommendation. EyeTV works flawlessly.

You can find the official website here.

4. kevinuaa macrumors member

can you hook up a vcr or game consule through eyetv? are there any solutions for this?

5. DJ-SPIN macrumors newbie

anyone have any experience with Eye TV? is it worth the money?

6. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

does the eyeTV work well with just USB1 speed? i have a rev. A 12" PB that only comes with USB1 and wanted a real-life feedback before deciding to buy it or not. (i'd think it goes, standard TV doesn't require a big bandwidth.)

7. jdechko macrumors 68040

VCR - Yes
    Game Console - No

I dont know from experience, but ive read/heard that theres a 2-3 second delay in the signal, so this would make it less than ideal for playing games... ie: you move your character and 2 seconds later he moves on screen.

8. ebook macrumors 6502

Any first had experience for this? I've been thinking about ditching the TV, we don't watch much, and just using the new 20" iMac. Then, if I wanted to watch a movie in the living room, I'd just pick it up and take it in there. But, I do like to play a video game every now and then, so I was also wondering how it would work with games.

9. timsq macrumors regular

timsq

Mac TVR tuner

It's very cool and works like a TVR Tivo(ish). I have it hooked to an antenna for broadcast and I've run it through cableTV. Pretty simple and programmable. It's a bit steep ($$$) but also the best solution I've found.

10. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

The EyeTV 200 uses FireWire to connect to your Mac. There's also the Formac Studio TVR, which has a TV tuner, and composite inputs so you can attach a game system or whatever else you want. compare them! Okay, that page is a little inaccurate about the EyeTV, but it's spot-on with the Formac's specs.