.Mac update coming soon?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by vocaro, Mar 27, 2005.

1. vocaro macrumors regular

I placed an order for .Mac from Amazon on March 10. Since then, the shipping date has been pushed back twice, and Amazon now says they might not be able to get it to me until April 20.

I've placed many orders with Amazon over the years, and never has a shipment been delayed this long. Combined with the recent rumors about Backup 3.0, could all this be indicative of a .Mac upgrade on the horizon?

Then again, .Mac is Internet- and subscription-based, so one would think that upgrades occur automatically and asynchronously, independent of when a user purchased the subscription. Still, I don't know what else would cause such delays with a .Mac order from Amazon.

Any thoughts?

2. Darwin macrumors 65816

Darwin

My theory is that since Tiger adds a bit more integration with .Mac that it might be updated at Tigers release, it kinda of happened with Panther (Syncing iDisk) so it might happen again

3. vocaro thread starter macrumors regular

Ah, that makes sense. I didn't even think about Tiger. But am I right in believing that whatever upgrades .Mac gets will apply to all subscribers, even those who purchased a subscription well before the upgrades took place?

4. Darwin macrumors 65816

Darwin

Since we are paying for .Mac all the time (subscription) then yes, all users of .Mac will get these updates, whatever they might be :p

5. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Even with Tiger due out "soon", I see no reason for delaying someone's subscription to .Mac.

6. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

Maybe new software to be packaged with it. I remember a CD coming with my subscription. The dates are kind of coincidental IF Tiger really comes out on the 15th...
    Then again, this could just be an Amazon hiccup.

7. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I have a question regarding .Mac updates. Let's say the standard disk space given to .Mac subscribers that haven't upgraded to more storage goes up. What happens to members like me that DID upgrade their storage space? I'm especially curious what Apple would do if they gave every .Mac member 1 GB of space, since that's what I have right now.

8. Bear macrumors G3

We can only speculate... Either they would give you the even higher amount for the extra you are paying for or if you're lucky, they'll give you an option to extend the length of your .Mac membership.

Of course, there has been no word or whisper of Apple doing this, so you're speculating on something that may not even happen or happen for a while.

9. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

Yeah, who knows. I think when Yahoo! upgrade email inbox size they gave everyone who had paid for the upgrade in the last month (or so) their money back, or at least an option. (there are other benefits as well).

Keep in mind that you've been getting the benefit for most of the subscription, so unless you paid right before the change, it's not reasonable to expect a full credit.

10. vouder17 macrumors 6502a

vouder17

there is a .mac Promo that ends on the 17th.. think what u want