.Mac Updates coming this weekend?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by LeeTom, Jan 17, 2005.

1. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

I got an email saying that .Mac will be temporarily unavailable this Saturday, January 22nd (2005) from 10pm until 6am the next morning.

Since this is when the new iLife is shipping, do you think we can expect more features? I for one would like to see multiple identities in the webmail.

Discuss.
    Lee Tom

2. chameeeleon macrumors 6502

God, I've been waiting for a revamped .Mac forever. But I think if Apple did drastically improve it, it would warrant a mention at a Keynote, not an under-the-cover "Surprise!" appearance. Not to mention that Macworld was just like a week ago, lol - Apple has to spread out the surprises to optimize 2005. But if they do improve - fantastic! Probably just a storage bump, if anything.

3. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I doubt there'll be any storage bumps - that has just been bumped a couple months ago. I think it's just a update to integrate .Mac with the iLife 05 and iWork apps better.

4. timnosenzo macrumors 6502a

timnosenzo

Could just be a compatibility update for iLife '05? Or maybe just scheduled maintenance.

5. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

That's what is said in the email.

6. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...what do you want to bet that even though they've sent emails to all users, we still get a thread (or two) started next weekend...".mac is down again...lame...I pay $99 a year for this....yada yada yada...."

I suspect there will be some minor enhancements made, but nothing worth mentioning in the keynote. The bigger changes will come when 10.4 is let loose.....oh yeah!

7. Jsmit macrumors regular

Dear .Mac Member,

.Mac services will be unavailable due to scheduled maintenance from Saturday, Jan. 22nd at 10 p.m. until Sunday, Jan. 23rd at 6 a.m. (PST). Included in this outage are all web-based services and iDisk. New iChat sessions will be temporarily unavailable during the beginning of this maintenance period. Email access from a client application, however, will not be affected. We regret any inconvenience this causes and appreciate your support as we continue to enhance our service. You can review system status on the .Mac support page at http://www.apple.com/support/dotmac/.

Warm regards,

Apple respects your privacy.
    Information regarding your personal information can be viewed at http://www.apple.com/legal/ privacy.

Copyright © 2005 Apple Computer, Inc. All rights reserved.

8. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    The Apple Store in London does have a .mac special event scheduled for Jan 25 - would be nice if they were going to show off new features!

Get a copy of .mac for £49 (it's usually £69) and 10% off anything else when you do. I wonder whether the price is coming down across the board - or if it's just £20 off for that night.

9. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

MacOSXrumors rumored a storage upgrade to 1GB and the addition of new services in the first half of 2005.
    They said Apple, according to reliable sources, is hiring new staff and putting in new servers and storage systems to make sure they can handle the load.
    No information was know as to when in the first half of 2005 this might be happening but this may very well be another check and it might not be that far off.