Mac upgrade questions...also...what's the differenc?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by masterjedi73, Jan 13, 2004.

1. masterjedi73 macrumors 6502

masterjedi73

If I bought a single 1.8 G5, can you add the dual to it later if you decide it's not fast enough for you?

What is the big difference between the single and the dual? Would I notice a big difference when transferring home movies to DVD or using midi sequencing software?

Thanks

2. cpjakes macrumors 6502

I don't believe you can add another later, I think the motherboards are different for singles/duals, but I could be wrong on that one.

As for the performance, duals perform better on a lot of tasks. You'll notice a DVD difference if you are encoding material, it will be faster. The MIDI sequencing probably won't matter until you're using alot of processing for DSP on audio tracks, not MIDI. However, if you're using a software synth like Mach 5 or Reason then you'll be able to do more.

Dual processors also allow you to work on multiple applications at once a little more easily by dividing up the work. I'm pretty sure that my DP 450 is only still alive with Panther because it is DP. Especially now that OS X (vs. OS 9) can support DP, everything is much smoother.

I do a lot of audio work and would never think about not getting a DP machine at this point.

cpjakes

3. masterjedi73 thread starter macrumors 6502

masterjedi73

I'm itching to get a dual 1.8, but I'm afraid they'll drop in price by the end of the month. I wish I knew what was going to happen! I'm all set. *sigh*

BTW. What is the DP 450?

4. Calliander macrumors member

Do you mean the code name for the machine or the color of it? Dual-Processor 450's were Gigabit Ethernet machines: "Mystic" in Apple circles.

And my Sawtooth 500 is doing just fine with 640MB of RAM and Panther. I make all my web site graphics and do my photos with it.

5. Purple Worm macrumors member

Masterjedi73 DO NOT BUY A G5 NOW. Your right, wait until the end of the month otherwise you could be crying over your single 1.8 and you don't want to do that with the holes on the panelling.

No you can't add another processor to the single 1.8 (you getting this cheap somewhere?), duals will have a real edge when doing certain tasks such as what you suggested (and in certain programs that have been written to take advantage of dual processors) and a DP450 is the old dual processor, 450MHz G4 PowerMacs.

6. cpjakes macrumors 6502

Calliander - why is my DP 450 "mystic?" I've never heard that about it...

7. Purple Worm macrumors member

Download MacTracker for free. It details every mac ever made in a neat and professional looking little program. It includes all data on all the models and will show what your 450 DP's production name (or whatever it's called) is.

It's freeware http://www.mactracker.ca/