Mac USB Modem

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by macguysoft, Feb 19, 2007.

1. macguysoft macrumors member

Hopefully I'm posting this in the correct area... Well as you all may know, Apple dropped modems from their computers a while ago while there's still 35% of users who still use a modem. Some have argued as to why Apple would delete a technology that was still in use or why not provide it as optional for macs.

I think this pretty much explains why it shouldn't deserve a built-in status although the question arises as to whether we really saved money and why there couldn't be an optional "built-in" status. Or was it Apple's chance to gain an increase in profits? Unless of course this empty space was filled by something else...

Any thoughts?

2. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

i think this is a good example of how Apple is a progressive company. they see a soon-to-be-dead technology and they adapt their plan to fit what the future holds.

3. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Wow. This happened about a year and a half ago. Is it really worth discussing? Here we go anyway. Apple's forecasting/reseach/gut feeling told them that it no longer made economic sense to include a modem. It took too much space and cost too much to include one considering most people don't use it. It really is that simple.

4. macguysoft thread starter macrumors member

Well, i don't see why it would hurt to discuss Apple's past moves unless this has been done before. I tried search but without avail so I thought it might be a interesting topic to see other people's views.

I've argued in the same way you did but the question arises once again. What space was being taken up in the mac? It's not necessarily that big and was the empty space filled? I understand the reasons for Apple not including this as built-in but what about including a "optional" build? Did it really cost "too" much? It was only about 20-40 bucks for a USB modem and yet people complain about the Mac costing too much. I've seen them argue that Dell has a 299 computer that includes a USB modem. It's a ridiculous argument though...

I'll attempt to answer or contribute my own answers once i do my share of research.

5. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

iMacs, Mac Books, and Mac Book Pros are slightly thinner than their respective predecessors. They've also added an iSight. They changed from ATA to SATA (I have no idea it that makes a difference in size). The track pad is larger. I'm sure there are more changes as well.

6. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

To have an optional built in modem would mean wasting space in macs that dont have them.