Mac user needs help with WinXP problem

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by parrothead, Dec 22, 2005.

1. parrothead macrumors 6502a

parrothead

Hey all,

I was hoping someone could help me out with a problem I am having with my work computer running WinXP Professional. Every once in a while everything will bog down and when I check the running processes it tells me a program called CCAPP.EXE is using 99-100% of the CPU. When I hit end process some other app starts hogging the CPU. However, it is always CCAPP that starts it. Can anyone tell me what's going on/ how to fix it?

Thanks

2. rosalindavenue macrumors 6502a

rosalindavenue

I googled it and it is part of Norton Antivirus.

LINK

I dont much like Norton Antivirus (I use an XP Pro machine at work too) and I recommend AVG; which is just as effective and much, much less processor intensive.

3. jlewis2k1 macrumors 6502a

jlewis2k1

or unless you are a microsoft lover you can get windows onecare

4. parrothead thread starter macrumors 6502a

parrothead

Well isnt that annoying, the very program that is supposed to prevent bugs that do this kind of crap is causing it. Man, I wish I could do my work on my Mac.

5. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

Norton AV for the home consumer sucks. Corp Edition is another matter.
    [​IMG]

Worlds apart in terms of performance, stability and integration.

You can actually go in and say don't monitor networked drive activity only local drives and you can actually say what % of the CPU to use when doing scans. e.g. The higher the setting the faster it runs but the slower everything else it.

Most likely the system is set to do a virus scan one every X days, weeks, months, etc. I myself set our office to do it ever Wednesday at 11:50AM. Just before lunch. So by the time most. (Not all.) come back from lunch its done.

If you are running a system with a slow hard drive its going to simply KILL the performance of the computer. Also I don't know about your environment but anytime a new lethal virus comes out (Pretty much ever 2 months at this point.) I run a system sweep of the entire office. That being every desktop, laptop, and server has NAV run on it to check for activity.

Attached Files: