Mac users are Smarter and more Creative than PC users

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by codycartoon, Jan 4, 2004.

1. codycartoon macrumors regular

It would be nice to think that, But does it hold any truth?

As I try and think of all the people I know who have macs it seems that they are all well educated, and creative. An architect, writer, filmmaker, screenwriter.

Maybe that is just me though, but if it proves to be more common, why do you think it is?

-cody

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Nah, I think it's rubbish. Say you have 100 people, 10 of which are "smarter". 95% of these people will own a PC, while 5% own a Mac (given approx market share). Even if only 1 of the 10 smart people own a Mac that is still 1 in 5 "smarter" people using a Mac, rather than 9 in 95 (which is what, approx 1 in 10.5?) using a PC.

So that's 1 in 5 "smart" Mac users, and 1 in 10 "smart" PC users. Even though only 1 of the origional 10 smart users in the 100 actually owns a Mac in the first place, it appears that there are more smart Mac users than PC.

...or am I talking crap? :p...[​IMG]

3. Kingsnapped macrumors 6502a

Kingsnapped

I don't know about smarts, but I think the case is, creative people tend to purchase macs for their arts. I know that I wouldn't have bought one if it weren't for my infactuation with video-editing and photography.

4. MacFan26 macrumors 65816

MacFan26

I think it's also because Apple has always been that 'niche' market, even though their slogan was the computer "for the rest of us." While some Mac users may be more creative than PC users, it doesn't mean that there aren't smart or creative people using PC's.

5. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Yep :p

6. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

ah good, glad I havn't lost my touch :eek: :p

7. elmimmo macrumors 6502

I think that Mac users are Smarter and more Creative than PC users except for those PC users that are are Smarter and more Creative than those Mac users who are Smarter and more Creative than other PC users.

8. manitoubalck macrumors 6502a

manitoubalck

As a percentage I am inclined to say: Yes,
    As total volume I have to say: No.

I am educated (going to Uni studing Engineering,) I can fix almost any problem that goes wrong with my computer, and I use a PC. It also depends largley an what you define "Smarter" as?

Remember many people buy macs because of their glossy advertising campaigns, and "Ease of use" out of the box, and have little to zero computing knowlege. On the other end of the scale we have profecionals who know computer sofware inside and out. (Even so this relates to ~5% of the total market Share)

People by/build PC's because:
    a) they can do just that build their own system,
    b) can easily get into nitti gritties of their computer, (overclockng,memory timings,etc)
    b) they are cheap
    c)you get more bang for you buck
    d) profecionals may opt for PC's over Mac's due to a much larger software and expandable hardware base.
    e) My favourite PLAY GAMES.

People By DELL's
    a) advertising
    b) ... (I'm still thinking)

9. Jimador macrumors newbie

I don't think it has something to do with being smart or creative. Maybe you meant people that have accomplished more in life.

10. VAG macrumors member

VAG

Well I have both Mac and PC.
    I believe ""maybe"" Mac users are more creative cause:
    they don't have games to "kill time", they can't customise alot their Macs to "kill time", cause of architecture (software & hardware).
    And many more, so on the age of their creativity is at top, they use Macs :) and after when they wanna "chill a bit" go buy a PC to play and vanish themselves "killing time" :D

Ok serious now,
    Both platform users are creative, most of professional applications are today for both OSes available, so why to seperate them?
    I'm not a splitted personality :p

LaterZzz

11. snickelfritz macrumors 65816

snickelfritz

Smart, creative people quite often choose Apple computers,
    but there's no more correlation between computer platform and intelligence, than there is between religion and intelligence.

Computer platform is sometimes a subjective decision, based on the needs and tastes of the individual.
    Some very intelligent people actually prefer WindowsXP and would choose it over OSX, even if price were no object.

Personally, I don't see much difference between them for most tasks.
    They both use the same basic metaphors, are fast and stable, and can run exactly the same types of applications.

12. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

i'm glad mac users are starting to get away from the "elitist" cliche that used to be accompanied with them.

seriously... i know a helluva lotta idiots who use macs... and a helluna lotta idiots who use windows-based pcs.

now if you really wanna talk smarts, by percentage, i would say that linux users have the most brains... it's just too bad that i'm too lazy to learn linux in and out.

as for creativity, i would say that it's all in the eye of the beholder.

13. ltgator333 macrumors member

naw cause I'm a Mac user for the most part, and I wouldn't go so far as 'dumb as a post' but at the same time I am not the brightest bulb in the pack....
    If anything I would say the average Mac user by choice are more independant than the average PC user, but there are exceptions to everything, it's nearly impossible to stereotype or categorize a group of people based on one choice in they're life.

edit:
    linux.... play with FreeBSD for 10 mins.....

14. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

Re: Mac users are Smarter and more Creative than PC users

Bull. If anything PC users NEED to be smarter to repair their systems or if nothing else need help from a PC tech that is smarter and even moreso if you are dealing with a Linux system. You can't stroll into a Linux OS without having some brains.
    But in general a computer system doesn't make someone smart and what of those that move from PC to a Mac or Mac to a PC. Does their IQ drop or raise when they get a different system?

An OS is a means to an end. A means to run programs. And end to get things done. OS X is an operating system, nothing more.

The hardware in a Mac and a PC are very similar. Same type of hard drive, same type of RAM, same type of video cards, and similar types of CD-RW or DVD-RW drives.

So in the end are Mac users smarter? Doubtful. If anything such a suggested idea just reinforces the idea that Mac users are just more arrogant and zealot. Thankfully not everyone clings to such a notion and most realize that a computer is a computer is a computer is a computer.

15. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I definitely agree with you there. Before getting a Mac, I tried several different flavours of Linux, and found most of them ridiculously complicated. For the record, my vote for "best Linux" goes to SuSE.

16. Doraemon macrumors 6502

17. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

I think that people in the Mac/UNIX/Linux/BSD camps are the smartest (or savvyest -is that a word?) I'd lean mostly towards the UNIX/Linux/BSD camps as those zealots I've met tend to be passionate but not abbrassive.

As for creative, the majority of 'creative' people I've met have all used Macs, and I went to an art school where everything was Mac (except the office.) Whether it makes you creative, I couldn't say.

18. JSRockit macrumors 6502a

JSRockit

Computers are just tools. I can be just as creative on a PC. Most of the software I use is available on PC as well...therefore it makes no difference really.

19. Freakk123 macrumors regular

check out the nielson quote in my sig. Mac users are better educated AND make more money. HAHAHA!:D

EDIT: Oops, not in my sig, but it should be. Anyhow, the quote is:
    And here is an apple thing from their "Business Advantages of Mac OS X Development" (relating to Nielson):
    EDIT: Now it is in my sig. Awesome!

20. Bmode macrumors regular

Utter nonsense, but it sure seems true. I have both platforms at home, and I feel it's the user that decides the intelligence level, but Macs look better, feel better, sound better, and work better, period.

80% of my Windows friends don't know how to use their computers because it's too complicated for them. Most of them have now switched or are thinking of switching to Macs.

This is my contributing factor: Who creates to destroy innocent people with Viruses? Windows!!! Who creates to entertain and have fun? MAC!!!

21. Apple //e macrumors 6502

then that school probably didnt have architecture, a creative endeavor dominated by windows, in their curriculum.

i too went to art school and we had macs, pcs, sgis, and even amigas.

the computer is a tool and you use the one that does the job best to get your art done

22. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

No it didn't. Fine Arts, Design, Illustration & Photography were the 4 majors available.

At the time, the lab was full of B&W G3s, the G4 had just come out.

23. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

I got a mac when Final Cut Pro 1.0 came out ...

No FCP for PC ... no PC for me :)

24. Freakk123 macrumors regular