Mac Users? Do you also use PC's?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Neserk, Apr 11, 2004.

1. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

I use both depending on where I am. Just curious if anyone else out there is bi!

2. King Cobra macrumors 603

I use a [se]xBox, so how "bi" does that make me? [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. SPeedY_B macrumors newbie

I use Windows NT4 on hideously slow Compaq's at work, and all my friends run Windows machines. My AMD machine is sat in my wardrobe though, I may ressurect it at some point.. but I'm quite content with just my mac ;)

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I have to use a PC at work (nasty 4 year old, slow thing) and have a reasonably nice desktop at home (mostly for games, currently compiling KDE 3.2 from source on gentoo). I also use Solaris Unix machines at work (via a remote connection). Whilst I might prefer Mac OSX I think that other operating systems have their place!

5. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

I use PC's daily. Although I don't own one, I'm always helping someone I know with their Windows woes. I also maintain a network of about 15 computers and a server at my local church, which all run Windows.

6. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

7. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I am forced to use a laptop running XP at work... but will often do any real work at home on my Mac and email it to myself at work. I also have to use Virtual PC to run the VPN to connect to my network at work. I've used Macs since my original SE... SE, SE30, Mac II, clone and now the 17" iMac. But like others, I am the one that is called on to fix their problems with Windows.

8. D0ct0rteeth macrumors 65816

D0ct0rteeth

Yes. For ASP.net, VB.net and SQL server development.

- Doc

9. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

I only use Macs......
    except to reinstall Windows XP on the PC of my grandmothers and a kid I work with (when they mess up).

10. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

Yep, we have a Dell at home, new. We've always had PCs. I bought my first Mac (my PowerBook) which is now my main computer last September, but we got the Dell after that for home (my family hasn't switched). That said, my sister and brother are looking into getting iBooks for uni.

11. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

At work I use pc's running Win98,2000, and xp, and soon some linux. I also use apples, running anywhere from 7.6.1 to X.3

At home I use my Powerbook (from work) and my pc running xp, and I am in the process of setting up a linux box at home.

12. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

We have an XP desktop machine. I'll use it to check my e-mail on occasions like right now, when I don't want to wake up my Powerbook just for the few minutes I'm going to be on it.

The reason we have a Windows desktop at all, as opposed to a Mac desktop, is because some of my wife's software (she has some high-end sewing machines) is only available for Windows. If I had my druthers we wouldn't have any Windows boxes.

13. vollspacken macrumors 65816

vollspacken

I have to use both :(

the only way I can access my university's VPN is via an old XP Pro Celeron PeeCee that I use from my tiBook with Remote Desktop Connection over Airport...

I wish Apple could give OsX the same VPN capabilities like Windows XP so I could get rid of that beast :(

vSpacken

14. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

At work I have a PC and a Mac next to each other. When I come, I have, you guessed it, a PC and a Mac next to each other. My fingers sometimes get confused from all the switching back and forth. If my brain gets tired, I know it when my fingers type Control-C Control-V instead of Command-C Command-V on my Mac.

15. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

At home it's only a Mac. My wife uses a CE Device for her VNA WK. At the Church where I'm an Administrative Assistant it's a PC running XP.

16. macka macrumors regular

Yeah, our family was a PC user until about two years ago. Actually my family still is a PC user, except me... :confused:

17. Awimoway macrumors 65816

Everyone in my family is a PC user except me. In fact, everyone I knew is a PC user except me. I use VPC for a few things.

18. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

I have both, I'm typing to you on my 15" iMac, and my HP is on a desk behind me. But the problem is my HP is all taken apart, I think the HDD is under my bed and my floppy is somewhere else, lost I think (I do custome mods for friends at school, right now I'm cutting a blowhole in th top of the case).

19. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

I know win 95 - xp well enough to get by but I don't own a pc. in 96 I bought a pentium 120 with 95 for a second machine rather than a second mac. in the end I sold the pc to help me get a powerbook. with osx there really is not much need at all to ever use a pc unless by choice. there are enough great mac apps now that we are not left behind any longer so much.

20. Inspector Lee macrumors 6502a

Inspector Lee

I have a Gateway Solo sitting in a box in my closet somewhere. In all honesty, I never had a problem with it. When I was having problems with my cable modem hookup, I brought it out of retirement to make sure it was my Macs and not the modem/provider with the problem.

I work in a PC world, use them everyday. In fact, we are totally outfitted with those awful Gateway profiles (the ones that have zero movement but did backflips over the iMacs in the commercials).

When Blaster hit last summer there was panic where I work. IT couldn't seem to get rid of it so somebody decided the best thing would be to full-fledged scrap all of our computers and outfit everyone with the exact same configuration (not just OS but make and model too). They took away my loaded 3 month old P4 and gave me a Profile with no cd burner. It is imperative that we back up our scientific data but now there are no means.

Then they had trouble configuring external burners and I/we still don't have one. And the power adapters on these profiles are the size of cinder blocks.

Nonetheless, I use my powerbook every day at lunch.

21. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

22. Giaguara macrumors 6502a

23. neut macrumors 68000

neut

i use both at work. Al17 and an Athlon XP 3000+ with dual crts, 512DDR (bad motherboard, won't run with more thatn one slot) running 2000.

i use the PC for video (vegas) and flash dev... though i wish i could get a G5 in there. at least our MP3, file, and back-up servers are all Linux. :D

peace.