Mac Users More Democratic Than PC Users?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by john123, Feb 10, 2004.

1. john123 macrumors 68000

john123

This entire area prompted me to come up with an interesting question.

I've read quite a few of the posts of late, and overall the writership appears to be more Democratic than Republican.

Now, the politics of high profile Apple officials and board members are well documented...but the question is, are Mac users more Democratic than their PC counterparts?

I'd be interested to hear everyone's thoughts on the topic...

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

check the political forum archives from last march and april. it was the opposite.

3. Krizoitz macrumors 6502a

Krizoitz

It would make an interesting poll topic, although the discussion section might have to be shut down :)

4. Opteron macrumors 6502

I think the only thing we can be sure of is that (gennerally) mac users are finincially better off, than their PC counterparts. This is on a percentage basis, not shere numbers.

You can draw what conclusions you wich from this statment.

5. kettle macrumors 65816

kettle

Why do people love to secure an ideal world around them. There are far more important things and useful things to think about. I'd be amazed if it wasn't 50/50 because these politically diverse hot beds are where things start to happen. The whole nature of mac users is to confront and question and hammer out new solutions. We would go absolutely nowhere if we all got in a comity and wasted time until we all agreed on doing something completely average and nonconfrontational, and before you jump on me for being solely agressive, I also mean when everybody around you is being agressive work in the opposite direction and provide a source for passive negotiation.

Like electricity, if we want to make the most of the energy within the human race we need to provide potential difference.

the last thing we should want is everybody thinking the samething. That would not be good.

We must divide, that is our sole purpose.

<!--#include virtual="../soundfx/crickets.html"-->

I'll shut up now

toodle pip:)

6. john123 thread starter macrumors 68000

john123

Ummm...what are you talking about?

"Secure an ideal world"? What does that have to do with the query of this thread?

Also, rarely in any community or sub-community is partisan identification split 50/50, so if that were the case among computer users, it would be more anomalous than expected...

7. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

You also have to remember that mac rumor sites don't exaclty represent the whole mac community, so taking a survey of people who chose to take a survey online isn't likely to yield very accurate general results.

8. john123 thread starter macrumors 68000

john123

...which is why this is not a survey -- it's a discussion forum.

I do statistics for a living and know all the pitfalls of sample selection bias...

9. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I may be a liberal, but I'm not a democrat by any means. Don't know if that helps your survey, but there you go.

10. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

So we're speculating then, pretty much. OK. Then who do macs appeal to and do those groups tend to be Democrats or Republicans?

11. john123 thread starter macrumors 68000

john123

That's the basic line of inquiry, yeah. I'd say it's one part speculation and one part "my experience is...."

On the survey methodology issue you raised, non-quantitative research has an important role to play...the problem with it is that it's often done poorly.

But then again, the same can be said about quantitative research as well. You'd be astonished how many "top" survey methodologists do a really lousy job on some things.

12. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

In my experience, mac users are mostly Democrats, but that's because most people I know are Democrats.

On the other hand, most computer programmers I know are Republicans, although most of them used PCs, even if they liked or preferred macs.

In general though I'd say that macs tend to appeal to graphics and design ("creative") people more than PCs do, and that one would guess that such people would have some liberal slant, even if a slight one.

But overall, I bet it would come out just about even, like the general population.

13. 2jaded2care macrumors 6502

I'd have to mostly agree with miloblithe, but I'd be surprised if it came out even. Too much installed user-base in the "creative" fields, plus the fact that Apple tends to appeal to trendy youth with its logo, marketing, iPod and "cute" iMac. OS X is making inroads with programmers, but most accountants don't use Macs.

Conservatives usually resist change (speaking as one), but don't worry, Windows is giving us more reasons every day...

14. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

My fiance is an accountant and is just about as left-wing as they come.

On the other hand she does prefer PCs.

15. 2jaded2care macrumors 6502

I think only Hollywood accountants use Macs... for "creative accounting"...:eek:

16. KC9AIC macrumors 6502

KC9AIC

There are quite a few mac users in my community, and they're almost all right-wing conservatives, but this is not necessarily accurate. Isn't Apple headquartered in Cupertino, very close to San Francisco?

17. john123 thread starter macrumors 68000

john123

18. kettle macrumors 65816

kettle

The "ideal world" comment is very relevant. People who try to connect that voting republican or democrat is because Apple make the best solution to the Personal Computer problem is based on a comfort seeking form of madness.

As far as "partisan identification" are you measuring at any given moment or over a period of time. Also which period would that be.

19. john123 thread starter macrumors 68000

john123

The adage goes, "When you assume, it makes an 'ass' out of 'u'."

I never argued that Apple is the "best solution to the Personal Computer problem." I also haven't even asserted that there is a "Personal Computer problem." I don't even know what that means -- is it like herpes for hard drives?

The query was merely one of quasi-scientific interest...nothing more. I wondered, very specifically and clearly, whether a correlation existed.

As for PID, partisan identification is remarkably stable over time (particularly with respect to short time periods). The "ebb and flow" that occurs in small time frames is typically due to movement in and out of self-identified "independents" rather than movement from hard Democrats to Republicans and hard Republicans to Democrats. In other words, the timeframe of analysis, so long as it's relatively recent, does not matter that much.

20. kettle macrumors 65816

kettle

Fine.
    Answer your own question.
    As far as making an ass out of u, your original question "Mac Users More Democratic Than PC Users?"
    You could answer that more Republicans use the windoze P.C. because you have a Republican Government. It would be likely that with the still large number of Mac Users, a similar pattern will be found in their voting tendencies, except of course when a democrat Government are in power!
    This all would assume that you could polarise a computer user into one of the two ideals. I always think it is safe to ASSUME that whoever is in political opposition believes in what they are doing.

Your herpes, if you hadn't noticed is a symptom of Microsoft. Apple provide an alternative to what the world consider the Personal Computer to be.

IMO - I think that Liberal idealists find it harder to accept the less than perfect, but very REAL systems that we describe as "the democratic process". So in as nearly a silly way as pidgeon holed Mac users, the democrats could be described as less democratic than republicans.

21. john123 thread starter macrumors 68000

john123

I don't really follow everything that you posted...but as regards who is in power right now, I don't think that has anything to do with anything. Mac market share has always lagged Windows market share, and by no small margin. From 1992-1994, Democrats controlled both the executive and the legislative branch of federal government, and we had a Democratic president from 1992-2000 and a Democratic Congress in the 1980s, so I don't think there's a connection between party control of government and consumer computer choice.

22. Frohickey macrumors 6502a

I don't think you could make an inference on the political leanings of Mac users based on the choice of computer.

I don't think you could even make it based on creativity.

There are liberals, there are conservatives, and there are uber-conservatives (libertarians) in the Mac world that I see. I think there were a few greenies as well, so that's pretty much the whole spectrum.

Remember, Rush is a Mac user, and so is Al Gore (maybe).

Besides, if Mac users are more Democrats than Republicans, and there are more Democrats, that should mean that the Mac's share of the computer industry should be more than the paltry 3-5% that its said to be at. :p

23. Krizoitz macrumors 6502a

Krizoitz

Not really. You are ignoring the fact that even if 100% of Mac users are democrats there still exists the possibility of being a democrat and NOT being a mac user. The statement would be stated as:

If you are a mac user then you are a democrat

and not

If you are a democrat then you are mac user

24. john123 thread starter macrumors 68000

john123

Mmmm, logic games. :)

It's like free LSAT prep (only not!).