Mac Users of the World UNITE!

Discussion in 'Community' started by mattroberts, Jun 17, 2004.

1. mattroberts macrumors regular

mattroberts

I'm in a ranting mood so if you're not prepared for some light hearted ranting then please move on.

Today i spent 40 minutes of my life helping yet another Windows user get their 'fix' for their computer. I seem to be doing this quite often and in talking to other Mac Users I notice I'm not the only one. Why is this? I'm sick and tired of fixing/helping numerous windows people trying to fix/use their computer.

These are the same people who Don't buy Macs! Why the Hell don't they?!? They are idiots! (on computer purchases.) I think the reason is that they KNOW that some friend of theirs will come along and help them get their 'fix' for the problem. So here is an idea - DON'T

I know this has been talked about before but i think mac-people are taking this too lightly.

If you're a MAC user DO NOT help windows users get their 'fix.' They don't give us any respect & they Don't understand what we've accomplished - how many Mac users have a friend or family member who derided their decision to switch to a Mac - I went through it for months yet these are the same IDIOTS who call me up to help them 'fix' their windows problems. Here is a recent telephone conversation with someone who told me in December that my (beloved) PB was too expensive, too underpowered and 'unsupported.'

Ring! Ring!

Me: Hello?

Stupid Windows User: Hey matt what are you doing?

Me: not much watching TV? why what are you doing?

Stupid Windows User: oh well, not much been having a bit of trouble with the Computer

[Pause]

Me: really? thats too bad.

Stupid Windows User: Ya the stupid thing is running bitch a$$ (pardon the expression to sensitive viewers) slow. I can't seem to figure out how to fix it - i did that thing you told me about last time.

Me: What was that?

Stupid Windows User: you know the defraginmintation (his exact statement) of the hard drive.

Me: oh yeah, DE-FRAGMENT you mean.

Stupid Windows User: Yeah.. that.

Me: Well thats too bad. You know i haven't had any trouble since i Got my Mac.

Stupid Windows User: Yeah so you've said

Me: In fact its sitting right here chugging away on a download.

Stupid Windows User: uh huh, listen dude - i have a huge paper due tomorrow and well... (pause) i could really use a hand getting the machine to work.

Me: I'm a bit busy

Stupid Windows User: You said that you were just watching TV

Me: Ya but its Euro 2004

Stupid Windows User:Yeah but I really need a hand with my box. and its a re-run

Me: Listen, back in January when you bought that sh*t box i told you I wasn't your IT guy. You told me the reason you wouldn't buy a Mac was because it was too expensive, too slow and didn't have the software you needed. Well NOW your computer is slow, all you need is a word processor And as i said then there is Office for Mac and Your attempt to SAVE money by buying some crap clone is costing ME a night at home and the gas money to get over there. I'm not helping you fix a mistake YOU made.

Stupid Windows User: Ya but i need this thing working or I'm screwed for my class.

Me: well whose fault is that - i'm not interested in fixing your computer.

Stupid Windows User: fine i'll catch you later

20 sec pause (Croatia!?!? scores, up 2-1? )

Ring! Ring! (GirlFriends Cell phone)

Girlfriend: hello? (pause)

Girlfriend: hi, yeah (pause)

Girlfriend: uh huh, yeah i can ask (pause)

Girlfriend: ok, hold on a sec. (pause- looking at me affectionately)

Girlfriend: Honey, can you please go fix my brothers computer?

At this particular moment i look at her in an entirely new light. She's not a Mac User either. In fact just yesterday I FIXED HER COMPUTER - SHE'S ONE of THEM

Stupid Me: Yeah sure.

You see I'm not mad at Microsoft just like I'm not mad at the guy who grows heroin Poppies in Burma - I'm tired of dealing with the users - the ones that don't know what the hell they're getting into by owning a Windows PC. I figure i'm an IT guys for over 12 people. And I don't own a PC?!!? Why?

Because I am Smart
    - and PC users are Idiots. Oh! I'm sure there are some smart PC users - Just like there are some people who snort cocaine every evening and still manage to have the ability to get up every morning and head into work. But why then does every PC user think they're that guy who can goto work the next day.

90% of them are addicted and are not getting better - i think its time we helped them off their problem and I'm starting right now. I had my 'brother in law' (I'm not married just in a long term relationship) sign the below.

To: Smart Mac User

I realize that I have a problem. And while having that problem i may have caused you and your family heartache and sadness.

I am a PC user. It started when i was young using MS-Dos and now today i am addicted to Crap programming and constantly asking friends for 'fixes.' Sometime those friends are just as addicted as i am. Sometimes, its those who have managed to kick the habit and move on. I know that you made a conscious effort to grow - and I tried to pull you back in.

I'm Sorry.

I am now going to try and 'fix' my own problems. I may be tempted in future to ask for a fix on my Windows PC - Please, tell me right up front to F-off. I know that i may yell and become angry at this, but in time i'll learn that your doing what is in my best interests. Perhaps, one day i'll be where you are - until then please don't try and take half measures by only putting off the inevitable.

I know deep down you care.

Signed

Stupid PC User

And i think its time for all of us to help our 'addicted friends.' But it doesn't work if I'm the only one - they'll find some other 'friend' to hook them up with their 'fix.' And when those friends are elsewhere they'll call You up EXPECTING a 'fix' because thats just the way they are.

Just say 'No'

And before someone says I'm a jerk for mocking addiction. It took me a long to kick my habit too.

cheers
    matt

(I'll rant about why Apples spell checker doesn't believe alot is the same as "a lot" later.)

2. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

I think this really casts the problem here in the appropriate light.

It's not a question of Macs vs. PCs my friend, but it's a matter of the fact that all men with girlfriends are manslaves.

edit: except for me

3. 7on macrumors 601

7on

lol, that's good. Well recently I've just been using "reformat" as my general way of telling people to fix problems. Hopefully they can go from there. I am starting to charge for my services and you should too. Hell, my local computer shop charges $60 for house calls. Even if it's something as simple as installing google toolbar to stop popups. That's why PCs have a high market share, to drive IT people's greed. Hehe, I'm even working at McDonald's this summer to buy my mom an iBook (used of course) so she'll have a pleasant computing experience when I'm not home.

And I repeat, charge for your time.

4. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

Now, that's not very nice. My usual suggestion is as follows:

"Ok, so first, shut down your computer. Now, you're going to need some replacement parts, so get in your car and drive to CompUSA. Go to the section labeled Apple and pick something nice out. Your problem should be solved."

5. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

It's cheaper to buy a PC if you have a buddy who will get you out of every Windows jam for free. I'm guilty of the same thing - helping Windows users instead of advising them to switch to a Mac on the spot.

And I've very glad nobody quoted your entire first post, mattroberts!

6. Mav451 macrumors 68000

Mav451

Haha pretty entertaining to say the least.

Its sad but true (about people EXPECTING you to fix their comp). I built my brother's comp, with my own hands. And yet, even after I scream at him a million times, he continues using IE. This means cleaning it for spyware every few weeks, half-expecting it to pick up a virus just SOMEWHERE down the road, and ultimately, me doing yet ANOTHER reformat for him.

Switch TO Firefox. He doesn't listen.

*If switching browsers is THIS hard on the PC side...you can get the picture for platform switching -_-*

7. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
  8. russed macrumors 68000

russed

i have the same problem, whenever i go home i have to repair 2 windoze bit or rubbish. so i have come up with a solution - put them on to linux. i dont think my parents will notice!

9. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Yep, I know this firsthand also. As a re-switcher, I know now that I should have never left Apple. But with my PC experience i am the Tech Support guy for everyone with a PC issue.

How do we learn to say no?

10. russed macrumors 68000

russed

we cant as we are so nice!

11. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

Well, my roommate came to me last night asking me "how to read a file from a floppy disc". I could say: "well that is why Mac descontinued the floppy drives" but this guy is way to stupi, he is 45 years old.

12. agreenster macrumors 68000

agreenster

Dude. This is hilarious, and pretty close to home for me.

My brother in law (college student) calls me all the time with his broken PC problems. I'm nice and try to help him out though, because he's a helluvaguy. He helps me and my wife with car problems, because he's a motorhead.

Fair trade, I say.

13. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I'd be ok with this if my wife didn't have a pc laptop....plan on getting her a 20" G5 iMac when they come out, so maybe I won't have to do PC support for too much longer.

D

14. Mav451 macrumors 68000

Mav451

I would say that car maintenance usually is quite a bit more expensive than comp maintenance (3 digits is very common, sucks if you hit 4 digits)...so you are getting one helluva deal :)

15. mattroberts thread starter macrumors regular

mattroberts

me too :)

16. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

I'll help anybody fix their computer if they pay me. After I fix their computer, I give each and every single person a long lecture about how Macs are better. (of course they argue with me the whole way though it)

It's amazing, people will blindly defend their computer, yet they go home and try to 'fix' it, and end up crapping something up. Leaving their computer un-useable.

Some people just reall suck. :)

17. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

Ohh god...

It's the same here, I've been fixing a friend's PC for over 6 months and he still wants to run XP in his P II - 200 MHz, 256 RAM and what really sucks is he got a "Copy" (from his brother in law, other PC user) of Photoshop and want to learn it in his old box and calls me every time because of printer, slow system, color problems... blablabla... I told him to get a mac and he said "But I've been told macs suck and there aren't too much programs outthere...) tthis man only uses his browser and sends emails... This story is getting me tired :( ... at least in my office people started using Firefox and thunderbird and enjoying iTunes for windows... some of them could get a mac by MWSF 05 ... but win users are just getting mind-closed...IMO :eek:

18. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    the thing i hate about having to fix computers is they keep getting the same problems all over again. im not saying my mac doesnt have problems, but they sure as hell dont recur ona monthly basis

19. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

You guys don't know what you're talking about. Where would we be without Windows and their users?

To quote a computer repairman in my area:
    "If everyone used Macs, I'd be out of a job! They don't crash!"

Just start charging people to fix their computers, and you'll be rich!

;)

On a more serious note, I had that problem too. My mother would always call me for comp problems, she hit yes to everything, loaded the PC with spyware. Finally, I got her a PowerBook.

It ALMOST solved the problem. But theres still problems time to time. Let me show you yesterday's converstation:

Mother: "The Internet's not working! What do I do?"
    *side note: we share the same wireless connection, since Macs have such good reception*

Me: "Well, it's working over here, you shouldn't have a problem."

Mother (panicked): "It's not working! What do I do?!! Help me!"

Me: "All right, calm down..."

I go see her, click the wireless button and the name of our wireless station. Two clicks, internet fixed. I go back.

The look on her face was worth it :D

20. beg_ne macrumors 6502

I don't think its just a case of saying no. Instead just say "Well, I charge $xx / hour to work on PC's, and double that on nights and weekends" :)

Atleast you can get compensated for having to fix their POS PC's. And a good side effect is in a couple of months you can buy a new Mac. At which point you can say, "Gee, look what i was able to buy with all the money you paid me to fix your PC. Guess it wasn't so cheap to buy in the first place was it." :D

21. Independence macrumors regular

Unless I'm doing tech support on the job, I don't help anyone with their computer problems.

As for Windows, I'm just glad that I no longer have to deal with it at home. I just permanently migrated my system to Linux over the past couple days. :)

22. Savage Henry macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

in a one horse, two house, three pub town.
    Man, that's a really long transcript. Normally my moods have changed after the third sentence and I'm at one with the world!

As for fixing PCs, I mock them and their Order, and then constantly remind them using blatent references as to how superior the Format of Gods™ is.

:p

23. mattroberts thread starter macrumors regular

mattroberts

I initially felt that the look on their faces was worth it. Now its the look on their faces when i present them with their 'Confession of a Stupid PC User.' :D

Since my original post I've had three phone calls Asking for help :mad: They'll never learn.

cheers
    m

24. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

trust me, many mac users have just as many problems, at least from my experience.

iJon

25. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

As the others a very interesting story, thank you for the smile.

I have help PC users occasionally, but I have limited knowledge so can't do very much anyway.

As iJon Mac users also need help. I have been in the receiving end many times. From the bottom of my heart it was greatly appreciated, thank you! :)