Mac Users Stuck Up?

Discussion in 'Community' started by stoid, Oct 17, 2003.

1. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

I, a Mac evangelist, have become friends with someone who happens also to be the heavy Windows user. He has only used Windows, and is rather proficient at it. We both just got new laptops for college. I have a 15 inch AluBook, he has some Wintel 2 inch thick fugly thing that makes more noise than a jet engine. I have continued to point out how my computer is superior and he admits the flaws in the Windows system, and I have admitted the few flaws in the Mac system. With the latest outbreaks in viruses I have been giving him a hard time by E-mailing, or telling him about the articles I have read about people bashing Windows. He says that you don't hear Windows people bashing Macs because they have honor and dignity. I showed him the Balmer videos, and he scratched the dignity. I told him simply that the reason people don't bash the mac is because their statements are unfounded. How do I convince him that Mac user aren't overzealous windows hating "dykes"?

Of note, he did download the iTMS on his textbook shaped laptop, and realized that it was a great application, and I think thats what spurred the vicious argument we had yesterday, he realized that he'd been on the short end of the stick all his life.

2. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

but we are overzealous. i'm not a dyke, but hell, some of us are.

that's why we're so much better....

;)

3. stoid thread starter macrumors 601

stoid

That's my point, maybe I am a bit too into my OS, but it IS better, and that's why I love it so damn much.

4. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

no, you aren't. your fanaticism is merely a reflection of how freaking cool and awesome OS X is. mac users are stuck up bastards because that's the kind of people that mac attracts, we're stuck up bastards because we've actually found something that's that much better.

avoid using this argument on your friend

5. stoid thread starter macrumors 601

stoid

hahahaha I should say not, I don't think it would help my argument, although I can not count the times I've been watching him set something up on his machine, and I ask why it's so difficult, and he answers, "That's just the way it is" and I chuckle to myself and walk away knowing that it does not have to be that difficult.

6. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

heh. my roommate is a windows user. he has a crappy HP laptop... he's installed windows about 5 times in the last month. like, format+reinstall. it's insane. he writes off everything i say about macs in a kind of stupid manner. i mean, he's like, "ok" and goes back to reinstalling windows and getting viruses.

oddly enough, though, the majority of people i talk to are surprisingly sympathetic towards macs. "those are cool, but it doesn't make a difference to me" or "i would get one, but i don't have the money and my parents won't go for it." stuff like that.

7. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

You make it sound like a problem. I think that Mac users are "stuck up" in general because it's difficult not to be when your computer is so much better. I have to use a PC all day at work and it sucks. It crashes (I.E. especially) we get patches pushed out over the network every day. The virus scanner just about kills the damn thing when it kicks in! (the machines are about 3 years old)

How can you compare a PowerBook with a WinTel laptop without looking down on the WinTel?

8. ColoJohnBoy macrumors 65816

ColoJohnBoy

Yup. I'm a f***ing pretentious bastard (Can I say that? I don't know. I'm wasted. Read the drunk thread.) Apples are better than PCs any day, in essentially any task.

Bowie is singing "Fame" in a video directed by Gus Van Sant. Awesome
    Weird.

I think Apple users have every right to be stuck up. We're part of a select group, a group that realizes, at least for our own lives, Apple is superior, is a life enriching product, a possession that isn't at all detrimental to our existence, but actually a positive contribution.

Now he's singing "Jump They Say". He's beautiful.

Even though I believe Macs to be the better unit in every instance, I also recognize that some people are willign to sacrifice the ease and functionality of Macs for the familirity of Windows. Lord knows I ocassionally (Seldom) yearn for the familiarity that the Windows OS provides.

I am different from the masses in that I am willing to sacrifice familiarity for the above mentioned features. If I ever come across as stuck up, I apologize, but honestly..... Apple simply and truthfully is the better product.

9. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

Dumb question, thats like asking a Ferrari driver wether he's stuck up or not. Ofcourse they will be, the reason we are is that we sitting infront of the finest computers out there and windows users are jeleous :)

10. kettle macrumors 65816

kettle

Re: Mac Users Stuck Up?

Is it just me, or is "dyke" another word for a ditch or a lesbian? If the later, then surely this is likely to be true in some instances?.:confused:

11. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

My roommate has an HP laptop, too. He's reinstalled XP 3 times and has had 2 major viruses infect his computer, causing him to lose all of his work a number of times. It is also loud and has like 7 blinking lights that keep me up at night, although I still have no idea what they are there for.

12. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I once read somewhere that Apple users are nearly as fanatical about their brand as Harley Davidson owners are.

13. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Do I smell a Harley Davidson special edition Macintosh in the works? :D I wouldn't mind starting up a G5 to a classic Harley exhaust sound to let all the PC users know to stand back. Perhaps the next metal casing will be chrome...lots and lots of chrome...

14. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

harleys and macs have their fans...but the similarity stops there

where macs have been very reliable in their industry, harley's can be tempermental

where harley's have a shrinking market due to younger bike fans not being able to afford increasingly higher harley prices, macs keep getting cheaper and the emac and ibook have captured some budget strapped users who are more than happy that apple is catering to the lower end market more and more

and where harleys are among the noisiest of their industry, macs are among the quietest in their industry

i can't think of any product that compares to apple

15. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

And come with a leather-wrapped mouse? ;)

But yeah, it's about brand loyalty. It generally takes great lengths to move a Mac user away.

16. KCK macrumors regular

I guess your friend has never been to some of the website where it seems some Windows people make it their number one job to bash Macs for every little thing they can think of. Yes there are Windows folks who bash Macs.

17. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

There plenty of people running Windows who bash Macintosh--they just have to wait until they've re-formatted their hard drives and re-installed Windows. :D

On the other hand, as a percentage, I'd say it's worse the other way. Mac users tend to be pretentious and condescending, even when they don't know anything about their machines. Isn't that the beauty, though? You don't have to know the machine to work with it. :)

18. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

the ease of the mac is the single strongest selling point...windows XP is more stable than its dos cousins though and microsoft has come a long way but still fall short of apple's simple to use operating systems

19. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Microsoft tries to make XP more simple through those annoying tutorials and "context sensitive guides" or whatever they are that litter the interface whenever you try to do simple tasks like change a setting. I think that is one downfall of the OS itself, since it makes things more cluttered, bloated, full of useless stuff, and keeps users babied so they'd never learn to adjust the sound on their computer by themselves without using some interactive guide.

20. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

dude, yes! the blinking lights! whoever designed that thing should be shot.

21. vniow macrumors G4

Hmm...not sure you'd ave to do any convincing here, I'm a Mac user plus I hate Windows, can be a bit overzealous and am most definately a dyke so yeah...

22. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Re: Re: Mac Users Stuck Up?

There you have it, the answer to the 20 year old battle between the Mac and the PC. ;)

23. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

Re: Re: Re: Mac Users Stuck Up?

yeah, that's what i was talking about when i said that "some of us are dykes," in the first response to the thread... :)

24. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Whenever I have a chance to point out the positives of the Mac, I'm more than willing. The response that I get is usually positive. They say that they can't disagree with my comments. Just this week I spoke to someone about the Mac and all of its firsts. She said that her boyfriend had a Mac, so was familar. Agreed to consider on for herself.

25. stoid thread starter macrumors 601

stoid

I was showing off my new laptop in the library (I took it there, and I did my homework). I got questions like "Don't you have to plug it in?" "Where's the second button?" "What is that?" and "How do I get one?"

My favorite was about my distinct lack of a second mouse button. I just laughed and said, "I don't need a second mouse button, I can do everything with just one!" I think that it only confused them, but I'll bet that a few hours later they had a revelation that it's a simple interface, and that's why it has only one button.