Mac users to become more like the old PC users?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Hoef, Sep 26, 2006.

1. Hoef macrumors 6502a

Hoef

It is just me? I recently get the impression that we become like the old PC users. Intel is cranking out new processors like the wazoo and the only thing we talk about is when the latest and greatest processors will come out (which <exaggeration> seems to be every three weeks </exaggeration>)

I sort of liked it when we had a new processor every two years and I could poke fun at the hyper PC croud scrambling for the latest and fastest Intel wonder.

Don't get me wrong, the change to Intel is not bad but I think Intel makes it a little more "average". No question ... just complaining :rolleyes:

2. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

dude! your avatar doggie is marching in step to the music I'm playing right now! I am totally with ya on all the hype over the newest pc - oops! mac chips release... etc...
    I am an O G and it will be years before intel rules my desktop.:cool:

3. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

i like the speed bumps, but i'm with you.. i'm getting tired of all the "when is [insert processor] coming?!"

4. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

It seems to me that we always talked about when the next revision would come, only they didn't come.

5. Graeme A macrumors 6502

Graeme A

It's just a shame that they cannot do what the old PC users could, and just pop in a new faster CPU without the major hassles.

Another thing I am not looking forward to is all the talk about overclocking this and that... Too geeky and too dangerous for my tastes.

6. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It'd be nice if Intel went back to a simpler system of nomenclature. That way I don't have to deal with people asking when Memron is coming.

7. asphalt-proof macrumors 6502a

I commented on this very thing last week or so. Who here remembers the bad ol' days? the days of the Motorola chips? How long was that wait for an upgrade (1 year, 18 months?) and it was only 167mhz more than the previous interation? Yeah, this is definately a better boat to be in. ;)

8. saga macrumors regular

I can't agree more. I have been a mac user since 2000. I hated computers prior to using the mac. Apple motivated me to learn more, and part of the motivatin was the community. Mac users have a sort of pride for the quality and os that they use, and rightfully so. But now, in light of "intel inside", not only are a lot of pc users switching, but the apple community is up in arms about the lates and greatest. We never used to have to be concerned about "Keeping up with the Jones' ". I got a macbook several months ago, and aside from the isight crapping out, I have had no problems, and am quite happy with it. When reading all the posts about when will C2D be announced in the notebooks, I really don't care. I am happy with what I have, and it is still a quality machine. My only concern at this point, is with all the extra attention on apple, will the product become.... I dare say, "average"?

9. Xeem macrumors 6502a

Xeem

I don't think the product will ever be "average" with Jobs at the helm. At the very least, it will never be "normal" by industry standards. Apple has always differentiated their products (for better or for worse) one way or another from the competition, and I think they must and will continue to find ways to keep their products special.

10. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

the improvements are good but it's getting sickening to hear "when will the next processor be available" and having countless threads about the pros and cons of each processor and whether or not people should wait.

i tend to shy away from those threads, anyway, only because i'im perfectly content with my machine. it does everything i need it to do a lot faster than any other machine i've used.

11. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

I agree xfiftyfour, the speed bumps are nice, but all the complaining about when will the next processor come out is rather annoying.

12. Hoef thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hoef

Cool, I forgot about that .... and a slapping peltier CPU cooling into the system ..... wait ..... I already have a water cooled G5 :D

13. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I personally don't care about the next this, that or the other. I bought my PM G5 in April knowing that the Mac Pro would be coming out soon. I needed a machine to take the place of my aging PM G4 that was 6 years old, so I went for it. Rosetta still isn't as good as running CS 2 on a PPC and I knew it wouldn't be. My first Intel Mac will be a rev B or C MacBook. For now, my main computer will be my G5. The Mac Pros still have some weirdness- the RAM riser cards give me the creeps. I'm sure it will be a little bit before they get that perfected. Although I think the technology is brilliant, It seems a bit new to me. I'm a big fan of getting later revs. They are more reliable, even if they aren't the most "recent" thing. And in my business, I need reliability not "the next big thing".

14. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

Hmmm. Well, CS2 runs great for me on my Mac Pro. And I deal with multi-layer and multi-adobe apps all day. Riser cards have been around for ages, nothing new here. The only reason for using them here is to make upgrading RAM easier. Currently there is nothing wrong with them, so I am not sure of this "weirdness" you speak of. They are perfected. There is really nothing special about them.

My Mac Pro has been rock solid, no reliability problems. Don't project the evident notebook problems onto the desktop lines. The iMac and Mac Pro have been near perfect if not completely perfect.

It sounds like you are trying to justify missing out on the Mac Pro. :rolleyes:

15. echeck macrumors 68000

echeck

It definitely feels like the "When's -product- coming? Should I Wait???" threads are dominating the boards lately, but I still think we're better off with Intel, even if it means we have to put up with these threads. :rolleyes:

The new CPU's back in the day were definitely more exciting than the current Intel announcements, but that's just because they didn't come as often as they should have.

Weighing the pros and cons, I'm happy we're with Intel now. :)

16. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

What about the "when are we getting the 3GHz G5s we were promised?!" "any chance of a G5 PB" threads? It's the same thing.

17. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Not at all. If I wanted one, I would buy one. I guess it's my fear of rev As, plus the fact that CS 2 doesn't run that great on them. It runs FINE, but not great. Trust me, I've tried both, they aren't the same. I'll get a Mac Pro when they've gone to rev B or C. Just being cautious. :) Glad to hear yours is great.

18. ziwi macrumors 65816

ziwi

I am with you on this one and even though they are cranking out the processors it will be nicer when the software is all converted and the initial rev. A bugs are taken care of. Bleeding edge can hurt sometimes ;)

19. 2ndPath macrumors 6502

Yes. Only that nowadays the names change more often and one really have a chance of getting, what he is waiting for.

20. wchong macrumors 6502

only problem is that when the consumers gets what they are waiting for a new product is announced and it becomes what they are waiting for NEXT.
    i'm currently stuck in that dilemma. i want an imac, but something tells me there might be another update Q1 2007. i don't want to get a new one so that in 3 months prices are lowered for an imac with better specs

21. Gaelic1 macrumors member

My first Apple was the 48K model back in 1981. It worked very well for me at the time. Since then, I've had a slew of Apple, then Macs, and each one did just what I wanted them to do, and did it better than anything else at the time. I didn't upgrade at every new model because it really didn't seem reasonable unless it had more advantages to me, not bragging rights to having the "latest". The same applies now. I have a G 5 tower that suits me just fine and will continue to do so for a few more years. My G3 Powerbook lets me check mail, surf the net etc just fine when traveling. Apple can upgrade every 6 months but it doesn't mean I will, just to have the latest.I know there are many of you who need the latest for their business. The more upgrades, the better for you. It all comes down to your needs.:)